What's the inspiration behind your user name?

When I first got on the internet everybody said you should never use your real name. I am a longtime umpire so my user name was umpmst. Now I use my first two initials and my last name, then put my full name as a signature line.

My user name is my company name. The logic behind that was the definition of muse as a noun (a guiding spirit or source of inspiration) and a verb (to consider thoughtfully or reflect) which seemed to fit what I saw as directly relating to the role of a consultant. The lower case "m" was to avoid confusion with Muse, as in the nine Muses of Greek mythology, as although the ties to the arts is nice, I am definitely not a goddess!

My nickname was given to me in the ring when I boxed as a teenager, where I would tire out the competition by constantly moving. Someone in the club got a video tape of me in an awkward position where I knocked down a guy in the ring. Many joked about it being a "disco-like" move and the name evolved from there.

With a strong background in security, I support keeping an online "alias" as a smart thing to help keep separation from malicious intent by many people on the net looking to exploit your data. "Data minig" software is huge business not just for the government, but also for private advertising, and high-tech criminal organizations. Many people are unaware of how easy it is to consolidate information about a total random person on the net. If someone wants to really know me, I like the control of choosing that they should or shouldn't have access.

Mine's a play on my first job (writing software for boats) & my lighting design hobby.

I haven't seen n1ist posting on this thread but I know where that comes from!:)

Larry

zmb are my initials. Doesn't give away my full name but is easily noticed by people that know me.

Mine comes from the FCC. I guess I was next after Mark (N1ISS) got his. It's my ham radio callsign. Ether that or "no wonder I'm so tired"...
/mike

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. While he's more in to dance and drama these days, this was my son at age 7.

proxy.php

I am moving to Ottawa now, to search for Animal Chin!

Well, at the end of my freshman year of high school, I was made what was called the department's master electrician. I honestly had no idea that it applied outside of high school! I am by no means a master electrician as most people would think. I was head of electrics at the end of freshman year and now I am head tech, so my position covers all tech in the department now. 2112 is a song by my favorite band Rush.

Back in the day, my wife Kate and I shared an email. That concept has since passed, but the name stuck.

Morydd was Merlin's Grandfather.

Back in the day when I was setting up my first post-school e-mail address, I was trying to come up with a username that was unusual enough that I wouldn't have to use numbers. I had a book from the library of Welsh characters in literature, and I was flipping through and landed on Morydd. It's served me well. I still don't have to add numbers.

my hair. i'm just a kid. HairKid. It's my nickname. some teachers even call me that. i think it's pretty bad-ass

I am a rather small girl but I burp like a man and I burp often. One day working with my tech director at school I burped and he said "Who's a pretty girl?" and I said "I am!" I've taken to saying it everywhere just to ease the awkward moments when people stare after I burp.

When I first got the job I have now I was the only technician in the theater. I was coming in to replace the sound tech who was going off to college, who is a certified sound engineer, so the sound equipment was all squared away. I had done work for production services in college, so I also thought I knew lights. The sound system was spotless, but whoever the lighting person had been was a complete slob, and so the catwalks were a completely knotted mess of cables, lamps (broken and new), lights, and random tools. They were using Altman 6x9's in the cats, dimmers were acting funny(some still are) the Fresnels over stage need a hammer to focus, and, well you get the point. So the more I investigated the wider and wider my eyes got as I realized that there was a whole lot that I needed to do and learn!

:shock:

Hey ya'll, new to control booth but not to theatre. I picked this username because I am usually doing electrics/ lighting design but I also can hold my own when it comes to carpentry and sometimes thats where the jobs are haha

I love the concept of time, and my room is on the north end of our house, so, according to a clock, I am, "at 12."

I started this username when I was the head tech at our middle school, and I was like "Oh, I know EVERYTHING about sound :rolleyes: . I'll call myself a guru!"

For some reason, I have always read your username as "The Gurati 2." I had always wondered what a "gurati" was.

I love the concept of time, and my room is on the north end of our house, so, according to a clock, I am, "at 12."

I started this username when I was the head tech at our middle school, and I was like "Oh, I know EVERYTHING about sound :rolleyes: . I'll call myself a guru!"

I always read it as The Gurat and then people always add numbers to the end of their username so I thought that must be it! Just random numbers!

It's my name, I know I'm original eh

My dad was really into the LOTR series of books when it was time for me to be born. Since my mother would not let him choose my first name/spelling he chose the middle name. I use it because hardly anyone knows it is my name, but it is easy for me to remember.

Yes, I am named after a dwarf. There. I said it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back