What's the inspiration behind your user name?

On many other forums, you are required to use your given name to identify yourself. Here on Control Booth, we don't have that limitation and many of us have chosen a different monicker to identify ourselves. I was wondering, why did you choose the user name that you have? If you use your given name, is there a reason that you stayed with that as opposed to choosing something different?

I identify as ruinexplorer on many forums. The main reason, for those of you who have seen my posts or read my intro, is that my original career goal was to be an archaeologist. In particular, I specialized in civilizations as opposed to tribal or nomadic cultures. I am extremely fascinated with how people create to make a world unto themselves and how external forces help to form their decisions.

So, how about others?

That's cool, I wanted to be an archaeologist too. Still kinda do, might work that into my future. Never had a specialty though.

Didn't see an option for nickname or user name so just entered my name. Its mine. Its great :)

My call sign from my paintball days was Marauder. For online gaming that name was always taken so I added an i: Maraudier... kinds sounds french...ish if you pronounce it Ma-raud-ee ay or Mar-rau-deer if you want lol

That's cool, I wanted to be an archaeologist too. Still kinda do, might work that into my future. Never had a specialty though.

Didn't see an option for nickname or user name so just entered my name. Its mine. Its great :)

My call sign from my paintball days was Marauder. For online gaming that name was always taken so I added an i: Maraudier... kinds sounds french...ish if you pronounce it Ma-raud-ee ay or Mar-rau-deer if you want lol
@Mathewdavis Welcome to Control Booth. There are worse places to be.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Funny thing is that my wife and I were just asked to volunteer at a ranger station to teach people about the native peoples who lived here. Originally, I wanted to specialize in the near east. It's kind of a rough area these days.

I'm interested in Show Control (second career) and Networking (first career), so.... ShowNet. When I was freelancing I had a domain name and business cards with "ShowNet" as the business name. I've since learned that Strand has a protocol called ShowNet. I very rarely see it mentioned, but now wonder if I can get away with having a business with that name...

But on here? Yeah, you can just call me ShowNet.

Nothing special, but that's my real name. BTW, pardon me for being an intruder as I am a newbie. Thanks for giving me the privilege to join you guys.

Reactions: Van
Nothing special, but that's my real name. BTW, pardon me for being an intruder as I am a newbie. Thanks for giving me the privilege to join you guys.
Welcome to the Booth, Margarette!

hello my friend and welcome to Control Booth ,There are many places to be here with us

Well now that I have a signature, it is easy to see where my username comes from. The numbers are arbitrary that came to me YEARS ago when I signed up for my first email on Hotmail.

My real name is completely unrelated to "Kat" but extremely common for women my age, so I just... asked people to call me Kat one day, and it stuck. I'm also the only lighting designer on our staff, so there ya go.

Funny. For the longest time I had two nicknames completely unrelated to my real name. Nik and Sam were names given to me by others, one because it just evolved from another nickname and the latter because my name had been forgotten, so they put in a placeholder which stuck.

I have a laser engraving machine, my name is Mike and I can't spell... Thus Lasermik. Someday, I may contact the admins to see if I can have them add the trailing e that would make my user name make more sense.

Michael, AKA Lasermike

Spent some time looking at threads I don't usually look at and found this one. My user name is (surprise!) my name. I figure if I'm going to post something I'm not going to hide behind a phony name when I do it. Now, I realize that some people have employers who don't like them "talking out opf school," and that's OK. But I don't.

Spent some time looking at threads I don't usually look at and found this one. My user name is (surprise!) my name. I figure if I'm going to post something I'm not going to hide behind a phony name when I do it. Now, I realize that some people have employers who don't like them "talking out opf school," and that's OK. But I don't.
It helps when you *are* the school... nudge, wink

Oh... so you *aren't* a warlord of Mars. Got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back