What's your dream FOH

mbenonis said:
An excellent list, EBoy87! However, I find it very interesting that you want to use QSC amps with the VerTec arrays - usually one uses Crown MA-5000 or I-Tech amps because of the horsepower required. Speaking of which, I would *LOVE* to work with the I-Tech amps.

The sound guys I work with use that, vertec and crown I-tech, and say they are very happy with them. I asked one guy about Crown a couple months ago (remembering the old 9001's) and he said a lot of people were not as impressed with them since Peavey bot them out. Don't know if any of that about Crown is true or not.

My dream is basically what I have now. LightJockey on my Compac with some custom upgrades; Planar touchscreen; Fingers; wireless mouse.

I'm still shopping for a wireless remote focus tablet, either a pda or an airpanel, etc., but that's not a real necessity. Other than that I'm really happy with what I have.

Edit: Just ordered a Viewsonic Airpanel 100 to do remote focus stuff. Have to make a couple computer upgrades. Will keep you posted.

FOH: Mackie 32x8

Processing: DBX drive rack, Peavey feedback ferret, a few of those awesome beheringer 4 channel gate, comp, limiters...THEY CAN DO 4 CHANNELS!!!

Amps: Deca's. All Deca's.

Speakers: Yamaha S115V. Like 40 per side. And those cute powered Mackie subs.

Monitors: Those really cool speakers that strap on to mic stands.

Mics: Sampson. That's it and that's all.

Misc: One of those cool shirts that tell people not to talk to you.

I really hope the dude isn't serious. As he said himself, you might be a redneck, if you think Mackie and Behringer are the greatest.

BTW, 40 Yammie boxes a side would sound terrible!

I guess I never did this myself...

Console: Digidesign Venue

Speakers and Amps:
L'Acoustics v-Dosc, and L'Acoustics Amps

DSP: I must say that I have no idea what is needed for this application. Probably some kind of v-dosc specific processor.

i have the onyx series from mackie, not bad for the price, but i really wish i could afford an A&H

i will agree for the money they are nice, but if you can afford to spend more, do it.

i cannot imagine 40 speakers to a side. that would either a) too much power draw
b) signal cancelation would occur

true on the 40 speakers. I could also see weight becoming a problem

Yes. Forty "yammies" a side would sound terrible. And I'd take somethin' like a soundcraft, a&h or midas over a mackie ANY day. And samson mics are OK, but some of their condensers are highly prone to feedback and add too much line hum. And JBL's, EAW's or EV's kill mackie speakers any day. Well. I guess that I research this stuff too much. I could get that setup (maybe eight instead of forty yammies) for a reasonably cheap price from the local rental house.

I havent worked with soundcraft equipment, but we are in need of a new board. i want the midas 320 or another a & h, but money dictates many things. how are the sound crafts.

The fact that anyone took that seriously is amazing.
My typical desk is a midas, crest, or yamaha.
Processing by Bss.
Outboard by Summit, Focusright, BSS, Eventitde, Yamaha, Drawmer, KT.
Speakers by Eaw, EV, Nexo.
Amps by Crown, QSC
(This isn't my first Rodeo.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an amazing sense of humor. I wouldn't have spent 15 minutes trying to find the worse equipment possible if I didn't think someone would get a laugh out of it.

We have the Soundcraft LXII and it is nice. I'd say Soundcraft is a pretty decent brand.

soundcraft is nice. we have a soundcraft Spirit-8, and it's really nice. Especially with 8 groups and a full meter bridge. The full meter bridge is the best part.

the only thing is that right now, we can either pick 16ch with full MB or try to upgrade to a cheaper soundcraft w/24ch and no MB. i'll take 16 w/mb.

koncept said:
I am glad im not the only one who doesnt think mackie is the greatest...

Again, I'm no sound guy, and I haven't heard them, but a lot of the sound guys I know really like the Mackie 1801 powered sub. Especially compared to the JBL M-Pro. Not for everything, and certainly not for concerts, but for a dj, or a small room, etc., they say it's way better than the JBL counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back