What's your dream FOH

OK, I was bored lately during study hall, and want to change my mind about the console I picked.

I think I'd rather like to have a DiGiCo D5, and I'd like to switch my amps to Crown.

Anyone here ever worked with a D5?

My dream FOH would be:

Console: (kind of a toss-up here, any high quality console would do just fine)
Analog: Midas XL4 (this is a dream, right!)
Digital: Yamaha PM1D

Speakers: Martin Audio W8L Line Array

Amplifiers: Lab.gruppen, Crown Macro-tech, or Crest

Processing: Lake Contour or BSS Omnidrive
DBX 160 compressors
Yamaha SPX2000 effects units
Klark Teknik DN360 Graphic EQ's
Whatever else was needed for the specific event

So that's definitely a dream. If only... (Immagines death of university's EV Deltamax rig)

Console: Probably a Midas Herritage 2000 (Best console I can speak of with experience, and I like the big gain knob) with a monitor console to match, and a good monitor operator

Dynamics: dbx Gates/Comps though I would like a few TC Electronic Triple C's

Effects: I'm not too knowledgable, but I have heard some Lexicon verbs that I have liked, not sure what I would use for delay

Processing: At least one parametric EQ to the amp racks, and a 1/3 octave graphic EQ, as well as one 1/3 octave EQ per monitor mix (IEMs included)

Amps: Crowns have done pretty well for me.

Speakers: I'm not too picky, EAW, JBL, or even some Meyer's since they already have my last name on them.

I'm not too picky. Someone good at audio can get good sound without the best equipment. Good equipment certainly does help though.

Oh, and dreaming about analog, a CADAC R-type for FOH and a CADAC M-type for monitors!

hmm.... I just want some new speakers. at this point, anything will do. Maybe a couple nice subs to put under the stage, and a few of them bendy lights that i could somehow jerry rig onto the board. O ya...did i mention the rookie in a can? Just keep in fridge til needed, pop the top, and you can get anything you need from that far away cage. Or instant entertainment...

saxman0317 said:
personally though...id rather have the H4000.... more knobs. I like to have that analog visual, and it looks more impressive:evil:

Are you serious? There are many more flashy lights to look at on the XL8!

Ha...flashy lights and impressive knobs. I just like the layout of analog consoles. I like the ability to change and move everything by hand and not have to go through two or three pages to open up an EQ section. Even if it's easier to access, I also like to be able to see ALL of my settings out in front of me, and not have to switch between pages of channels.

i'd like a combination of the two with alot of cords all over the place. i think out board gear would also make it more impressive but personaly i would rather just move a nice board (venue...) around and have cords all over with that there.

I hope analog consoles never go away. I'm not a big fan of digital consoles. I've seen one-too-many light board crashes.

Last edited:
I used to think I liked analog better..."I don't want to have to select what channel and EQ band I want before I can twirl the knobs, that's so slow." Then I mixed on various consoles, including the 02R, DM2000, DM1000, and PM1D. When you really try it, you'll find it takes the same amount--if not more--of time to find the right row, find the right knob in the dozens in that channel, and twirl it as it does to hit the channel you want, hit the band you want, and twirl the knob.

In fact, to certain extents, I actually find the single band EQ section with the band select buttons on the DM1000 quicker to use than the separate knobs per band section on the DM2000 and PM1D (although, comparably, the PM1D is easier than the DM2000, since the PM has three knobs per band, whereas the DM2000 uses two knobs, one of which toggles between Q and freq).

It definitely took some getting used to, but after mixing on it for a while, I came to appreciate it. If you know what buttons to push, I think that the cleaner interface is worth it. I firmly agree that it should be a max of one button beyond the channel select to get to anything, but I don't mind that one push. And all the good consoles don't bury stuff below tons of menus...those are just the smaller dated consoles. Most current models strike a great balance between the clutter of a knob-per-function interface and an over-streamlined digital system.

--A

HA! I just went and did my "homework" on digital consoles by going over the main yamaha models and watching all parts of the video for the M7CL. I think that the reason I like analog is that it's the only thing that I've worked on. I looked over most of the models, and most of them had some things that were not available at all times, or some things that I didn't like, but the M7CL seems to have it. It's got the instant-access eqs, dynamics, mix sends, etc. all available from individual dedicated knobs next to the display. Push a button, and a channel comes up, and you don't have to go any farther to operate it. I also like the double-stacked fader layout, and the metering of all the channels. I didn't like the PM5D because you could only view half of the channels on faders at once, but each channel has an individual fader AND meter on the M7CL. You can also take control of banks of 8 channels, giving you an overview of all 8 channels and quick access to all of them. I also like the additional meter bridge that you can get to go across the top so that you can view all mix send and matrix outputs. I'm just a control freak, and I have to be able to access everything really quickly. And the M7CL is the only one of the Yamaha range that I've seen that has all the features that I'm looking for. It even has built-in GEQ and effects racks, and you can see your whole effects/eq setup in a Rack form really quickly. You can also control the GEQ with the channel faders, wich I think is really cool.

So, if given the chance (on an M7CL, no less) I figure that I could get used to it pretty quickly. It's just my comfort zone right now.

P.S. - I also looked at all the Mackie TT24 videos, and that actually seemed pretty user-friendly as well, just like all the rest of the Mackie products. I have yet to take an in-depth look at the Allen & Heath or the Midas releases.

Console - DiGiCo SD7

Speakers - Adamson Y axis with Adamson T21 Subs

Amplification - Lab-Gruppen

Processing - Dolby Lake, Klark Tecknik, Meyer Galileo, Aviom, BSS Audio

Effects - Lexicon

Mics - Neumann, Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Sound Field, Scheops, Earthworks, AKG

Last edited:
In the context of a "dream Foh four our theatre" I would have:

Console: Yamaha LS9-32 clocked by an Appogee Big Ben

Processing: Meyer Galileo

Speakers: Meyer M'eodie or UPQ-1P with USW Subs, in a LCR A/B configuration, UPM-1p (for fills and fx), MJR 212 Monitors, and UPJ and MM-4XP for additional FX speakers

Mics:
-Wireless: Shure UR1M Wireless with DPA 4060 and 4061 mic elements with helical antenna
-Instruments: Shure: SM 57, SM 58, Beta 98, Beta 57, Beta 91, Beta 52, KSM 137, KSM 32, KSM 9, Beyer M88TG, AKG 414, and Sennheiser 609.
DI's: Klark Technic active DI's

Snake: Yamaha's new digital snake (shipping in January), or Lightviper (keep it all digital for a cleaner FOH)

Playback:
SFX Software with 8 channel sound card
Tascam MD-CD1
Tascam CDRW 950

Lucky for us, we have a good deal of theis gear already
~Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back