What's your dream FOH

Eboy87

If you could get any equipment you wanted for your FOH position, what would it be?

To the best of my knowledge, here's what I'd want

Mixer:
DigiDesign VENUE, which includes the snake from stage to mixer and pro tools recording

FOH rack:
a couple 'a Lexicon PCM 91's and 81's, and maybe a 960L for efx and reverb
DBX Driverack 4800
DBX 160's compressors
DBX 1070 gates

Speakers:
JBL Vertec line array

Amps:
QSC

Misc.
One of those tall rolly chairs, since we have nothing close to it in our booth, and I think they're cool

Now, I'd like to see what you'd want

An excellent list, EBoy87! However, I find it very interesting that you want to use QSC amps with the VerTec arrays - usually one uses Crown MA-5000 or I-Tech amps because of the horsepower required. Speaking of which, I would *LOVE* to work with the I-Tech amps.

Yeah, i was having second thoughts about them. I'm going to change my answer to Crown I-Tech (that is the one that networks to control DSP and preformance, right).

Well, if you're going VerTec, it's certainly worth considering getting them with the DrivePack setup that JBL now sells for them. It's a team effort between a number of their sister companies, dbx on the processing end, I can't remember who makes the amp offhand. They come mounted on the back of the new DP VerTec cabs, or you can get retrofit kits to turn standard VerTec cabs into powered models.

Andy_Leviss said:
Well, if you're going VerTec, it's certainly worth considering getting them with the DrivePack setup that JBL now sells for them. It's a team effort between a number of their sister companies, dbx on the processing end, I can't remember who makes the amp offhand. They come mounted on the back of the new DP VerTec cabs, or you can get retrofit kits to turn standard VerTec cabs into powered models.

Crown makes the amplifier component, and it's the same technology as the I-Tech amplifiers. While I have worked with the VerTec's, I have not yet seen VerTec's equipped with DrivePacks.

Crown, dbx, AKG, Lexicon, BSS, JBL, DOD, Digitech, infinity, and others are all owned by Harman International (think Harman Kardon).

Midas, KT, Ev, Audiocom, Dynacord, Vega, etc are all owned by Telex.

Any other large audio groups out there?

Mackie, EAW, EAW Commercial, Tapco, Ampeg, Crate, Crate Audio, Alvarez, Rhythm Art, MarketPlace, Knilling and Austin are owned by Loud Technologies Inc.

AKG, Amek, Lexicon, Soundcraft and Spirit by Soundcraft are also owned by Harman International.

Console:
CADAC J-Type w/automation

Processing:
Lexicom 960L
TC Electronics M2000
Eventide H8000
Drawmer DS404
BSS 901
dbx 162SL

Speakers:
Nexo GeoT and CD18 subs
Camco Amplifiers
Lake Contour Processing

The I-techs are an interesting thought with a lot of potential but really aren't that great in my experience. So far we've had two blow a set of transistors under a minimal load. The network interface is also shaky at best.

the_dude said:
The I-techs are an interesting thought with a lot of potential but really aren't that great in my experience. So far we've had two blow a set of transistors under a minimal load. The network interface is also shaky at best.

This surprises me greatly. Crown, in my experience, has always turned out quality products which have passed a rigorous testing cycle. Have you contacted someone at Crown about this, and if so, what was their response?

As far as the IQnet goes, I do agree that it can be unreliable at times - I've seen it freeze up for a second or two more times than I can count. Has anyone approached Crown about this issue?

They are both being shipped back to crown. It'll be interesting to see what they have to say. At the time of the incident, the dust covers actaully blew off the front. I wasn't around at the time but apparently it was about as loud as a .22.

(1)dbx DBX480 Loudspeaker Management Processor
(1)dbx AFS-224 Strereo/Dual Mono Feedback Suppression Processor
(2)dbx Blem 3231L Dual 31-Band Graphic Equalizer
(2)dbx 120A Subharmonic Synth
(12+)dbx ProVocal Vocal Strip
(1)Furman AR-1215 AC Line Regulator
(1)Pioneer CMX-3000 Dual Rackmount CD Player

(1) Mackie Onyx 3280 Premium 32-Channel Analog Live Sound Console

(12+)Shure SLX Wireless Mics

A crap load of Crown or maybe QSC amps.

JBL Speakers.

(as you might be able to tell... I am a BIG dbx fan!)

My dream console for my high school, anyway would be a Midas Verona 48 Channel.

im not a big sound guy but i would love to have a midas

dream Foh

(designed for live music)

Midas XL3

2xXTA DP224
1xXTA GQ600

2x DBX 162SL
8x DBX 160a
6x Drawmer DS201

1xYamaha Spx 2000
1xYamaha Pro R3
2xYamaha Rev500

QSC Powerlights
Funktion-One resoluion 5's
Funktion-One F218's
*or*
L`accoustic Vdosc (depending on venue dimensions, not outdoors!)

Mics:
kick- audix D6
snare top- beta 57
snare bot- sm57
high hat- sennheiser K3
toms- beta 98
ride- sennheiser K3
overheads- akg414
bass di- bss active di
bass mic- beta 52
guitars (elec)- sennhesier MD421 and Sm57
guitars (acc)- akg c1000
sax- beta98
trumpet- sm57
bongo,congas- audix F10
misc- sm57, sm58, beta57 or c1000
vocals- audix OM7

Certainly wouldnt moan driving that system!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back