Control/Dimming What's your favorite DMX opto Splitter?

Hey, guys! I'm looking to upgrade my dmx distribution setup. currently, we are using some Elation opto splitters and it's not keeping up. what are some of your favorite ways to distribute DMX?

We are a Church so it doesn't need to be mobile. it will live in a rack for the rest of its life.

BONUS QUESTION: Whats your favorite Artnet box? or a way to send multiple universes from FOH to backstage.

I very much like the Pathport gear. Rugged products designed by people that seem to understand the "theatre environment" and also good support and service. Also very integrated product line.

PS: DMX; Ethernet including ACN, Partner, & Net3; and good POE switches all manageable together.

+1 for the Pathway gear. I used to like the Elation Branch 4 splitters, but almost all of them have developed a bad capacitor in each output section over time. Must have been subject to the great Capacitor Plague.

Pathway and Doug Fleenor are highly respected by pros world wide. More expensive now, but you may never need to replace it.

I'd advise considering switching over your network gear to sACN. ArtNet was wonderful when it was first out. It was badly needed but has too many issues for modern systems.

Several are available in RDM or non-RDM versions. It costs extra, but RDM is becoming quite common even in moderate priced products.

If you will set things up and leave them then RDM isn't as much use. (neither is the Proplex A/B function) If you plan on moving things around more than once or twice a year then it will save time and money.

Several are available in RDM or non-RDM versions. It costs extra, but RDM is becoming quite common even in moderate priced products.

If you will set things up and leave them then RDM isn't as much use. (neither is the Proplex A/B function) If you plan on moving things around more than once or twice a year then it will save time and money.
we want a proper data distribution setup. we do new stage layouts a few times a year so it has to be flexible. im also really pushing for an ARTNET box

So why ArtNet?
  • sACN is a far better protocol, IMHO. ArtNet is trying to catch up but has many legacy problems.
  • With a lot of DMX do you need more universes? or should you go all network instead of splitters?
I've always used artnet without any issues. But I'm open to using whatever protocol works best for our setup.

We want the flexibility for when we do larger rigs and don't want to worry about running out of universes. So we will probably drop the distribution stuff right behind stage.

Fleenor is my favorite. Pathway is a close second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used artnet without any issues. But I'm open to using whatever protocol works best for our setup.

We want the flexibility for when we do larger rigs and don't want to worry about running out of universes. So we will probably drop the distribution stuff right behind stage.

I won't go into the technical details of the protocols of why I like sACN, but there are a bunch of reasons. Read up or ask questions for nerd points. You can use both at the same time in a small rig, best if you already have some ArtNet gear.

My thought on splitters vs gateways is that each gateway output is individually programmed. So a mulit port gateway works as a splitter, but better. Rather than bringing 1 or 2 DMX cables to your distro point, (and be limited to 2U) you bring one Net cable and each output can be it's own universe. An 8 port gateway will cost more than a splitter, but you get a lot out of it. Nearly unlimited growth potential, wireless remotes with simple WiFi, alternate console locations, built in merging, flexible routing, multiple monitoring possibilities (depending on your console), all without changing the basic structure.

For economy my favorite is the ENTTEC Optisplitter. It certainly wouldn't last long in a road environment, but I've got two that sit on desks all day long and one of them has been running continuously for 2 years now with naught a hiccup. Our church uses a rackmount Chauvet one that has also performed well. That was also a "budget" choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back