What’s your favorite fastener?

What’s your favorite fastener?

• Nails

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I eat paste... I mean I like glue.... I mean....

• Legos all the way!

• Total voters
I like screws for that and also cause there easier to take out when it comes time to strike. with nails you need to work to get them out, with screws you just unscrew them, and your done... much easier if you need a quick strike

I prefer screws to nails in a big way. Screws are just a lot easier to work with and they are a huge help in strike. I work in a high school as the Set Director so when I am trying to organize a strike that has to get everything down and stored in about three hours, its just a lot less of a hassle to use screws. Since we don't have the largest storage space either, we prefer to take everything apart after we are done. I would also like to state that reusing screws, I found, isn't the best idea. often they will become bent , get stripped, and just give you more of a headache than you want. i prefer to jsut collect all of the screws that were just taken out and pitch them.
But true to what you are saying, it does depend on what type of set you are condtructing.

Staples and glue are my friends. Lots of glue with the staples just holding the wood together until the glue dries.
Nails only for finish or if there is a sheer load. Ever break off a "dry-wall" or "multi-purpose" screw when it gets bent? Those screws are very brittle - lots of compression strength, no sheer strength. When building ladder or step units that have sheer loads on them I will screw them together to get a compression force between the two, then I'll add a nail. Wood screws are generally stronger, but take more time to use properly.

I actually took a 2 x 4 and drove a nail, screw,2 lag screws (one pre-drilled ,one not) and a bolt through it. I then split it in half to reveal the holes each one made in it. The screw was the least destructive to the wood. It had the smallest hole and seemed to repair itself better. Bolts are very strong as long as you use the same hole every time and don't re-drill in the ends of your platform or legs. Lag screws require pre-drilling to work properly. Try the experiment I mentioned and see what your results are.

Rule of thumb for me - Always use the largest nail, staple, or screw you can without going through the other side. Does not apply to attaching things like 1/8" luan to 2 x 4.

Another rule of thumb - nail, screw, or staple should be three times the thickness of the item you are attaching. Once again this is a rule of thumb, it does not apply in all situations.

And yes, throw away those old screws. The cost of s screw is generally less then a penny and a used one can add hours to a build or strike. Aluminum cans are worth more to recycle than screws - recycle your cans and buy new screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back