When is a PAR30 not ?

SteveB

On a renovation of a black box we had to quickly source a small incandesent house light unit that could be readily relocated, fit into the dimming system, etc..... We found this fixture from a company in CA. Their model “LSPAR30B” (B for black). We specified 30.

The vendor - Barbizon was able to source an Osram R30 65 watt incandescent lamp

All good we thought, then we tried to install the lamp into the fixture and were really puzzled upon discovering the lamp was too big for the fixture. A WTF moment as I had thought that a PAR 30 lamp was a PAR30 lamp, was the same size as an R30 lamp and should fit in a fixture labeled as “PAR30”.

Nope

So I called Odyssey in California and they had absolutely no clue if a R30 or even a PAR30 lamp would fit, the gentleman stated “I know you can put a regular light bulb in it”.

Well, OK.

Barbizon was very good and substituted a Leviton PAR fixture sized for PAR38. Thank you Barbizon.

I think I’ll pass on buying future Odyssey products

A BR-30 lamp is not A PAR 30 lamp. I note in the specifications, there is no maximum wattage of lamp UL listed for it. Stop right there question to be answered. Next question is when this incandescent lamp is discontinued, will the LED version fit into the fixture.

I thought the “30” designation indicated lamp size. 20, 20, 38, 56, 64 etc...... No lamp in a 30 designation will fit into a Odyssey LSPAR30 fixture.

Correct. The BR30 lamp would not fit. Funny in retrospect, and we ultimately were done right by Barbizon, but really “put a regular lightbulb in it ?”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back