When to start applying for jobs for after graduation?

For what it’s worth, great you’re designing a show in the spring. The faculty need to accommodate time for you to look for work. As mentioned, at your age USITT will be one of the best avenues to do this. Talk to your faculty yesterday about accommodating time for you to attend. I’m not trying to be abrasive but a show at your school is not as important than the rest of your career. Plus you are about to graduate, correct?! You going to USUTT the spring of your last year is more important than a show, the faculty need to get over that.

Iv’e known a lot of students who have told me they herd excuses like, well we got this show going on, so you can’t attend this or that conference, from their faculty. Guess what, there is always a show going on!

Great, the faculty have full time jobs with benefits, you need to get there and school isn’t forever!

For what it’s worth, great you’re designing a show in the spring. The faculty need to accommodate time for you to look for work. As mentioned, at your age USITT will be one of the best avenues to do this. Talk to your faculty yesterday about accommodating time for you to attend. I’m not trying to be abrasive but a show at your school is not as important than the rest of your career. Plus you are about to graduate, correct?! You going to USUTT the spring of your last year is more important than a show, the faculty need to get over that.

Iv’e known a lot of students who have told me they herd excuses like, well we got this show going on, so you can’t attend this or that conference, from their faculty. Guess what, there is always a show going on!

Great, the faculty have full time jobs with benefits, you need to get there and school isn’t forever!
While this is true, If this show is part of the assessment process and it is what will get you the qualification it can be very important. If I have worked for 3 years to get a degree, I wouldn't throw that away for one final assessment. If I have accrued a student loan debt I want that bit of parchment to say why I have the debt.

While I wholeheartedly agree, be careful with that. I've known people who almost didn't graduate for things like missing a required strike (which taught them nothing) so that they could work a paying overhire gig (which taught them a lot.) Yes, they should make accommodations for the job hunt, but education has plenty of professors who a) are out of touch with the industry and b) get off on wielding power over students. (And plenty who are amazing and genuinely love students and are rock stars in the industry, calm down.) All I'm saying is tread thoughtfully.

@JimmyM I suggest going to USITT if you can. Its a great opportunity to network. Typically Cirque, Disney, the cruise ships, and others are there hiring. Plus there is good resume support.

Just a little update, I have a job! I kept in touch with a company that came and demoed some equipment at my school last fall, then bounced around the chain and ended up with a full-time field service technician position that I get to start right after I graduate! I am excited and appreciate the insight this thread provided, its proof that a few small connections can turn into a real job.

Just a little update, I have a job! I kept in touch with a company that came and demoed some equipment at my school last fall, then bounced around the chain and ended up with a full-time field service technician position that I get to start right after I graduate! I am excited and appreciate the insight this thread provided, its proof that a few small connections can turn into a real job.
Thank you for the update and congrats on landing this position, best of luck with it and your career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back