Where can I find a Roscolene Gel book?

Are you sure it isn't Roscolux? I doubt you can still get a Roscolene book.
Either way, if your local dealer can't help you, contact the customer service people at Rosco.

Also you might try contacting the C.B. member from Rosco who posted about half way through this thread.

Last edited:
Did they ever make Roscolene Gel books? I've got what you could call roscolene gel books that are made of a wire shower curtain ring and 1.5"x2.5" pieces of the gel. I also ended up with a lot of Roscolene when we were cleaning out and it got tossed(I collect a lot of "tossed" things, I'm collecting an Edkotron dimmer pack and controler this week as well as a 36 chan analog Light board: I was told to clean out all the "old junk")

Yeah roscolene gel books definitly exist I acquired one last spring when my TD at school was cleaning up the shop for the first time in like 30 years. Its a lot smaller than todays gel books, cant be more than 100 diferent gell in it. Im not willing to part with the thing but if you have some questions I cold help you in a couple of days when I get back to school.

Are you sure it isn't Roscolux? I doubt you can still get a Roscolene book.
Either way, if your local dealer can't help you, contact the customer service people at Rosco.

Also you might try contacting the C.B. member from Rosco who posted about half way through this thread.

The numbers were in the 800's and they weren't matching up with any GAM numbers or another gel company numbers. Also, the gel was of a thicker plastic-y consistency. Our TD told me it was Roscolene, but I tried Rosco and the site doesn't have a "request roscolene gelbook" at the bottom like the other pages. I emailed the company "Parlights" and they said that Rosco had stopped making it and had therefore stopped making gel books for it.

The numbers were in the 800's and they weren't matching up with any GAM numbers or another gel company numbers. Also, the gel was of a thicker plastic-y consistency. Our TD told me it was Roscolene

Yep, that's 'Lene all right. You can equate (at least most) colors of Lene to a color of Lux; of course, they're not numerically related.

What I might do as a cheap and lazy solution is to take a Lux swatchbook apart to just the colors that have a Lene counterpart, put them in order, and note the Lene number on the Lux pieces of paper. Not the same as the real deal, but it's something tangible that's pretty dang close, especially if you work with Lene a lot.

No you don't

Yo D-Funk!

Why you always gots to clown on my chocolate dawg?
Chill. Chocolate is da bomb!

Peace Out FOOL!

Last edited:
Yeah, there were Roscolene swatchbooks, looked like the modern ones only with 70's looking fonts, IIRC.
As I remember, Roscolene swatchbooks were less wide and 1/2" or so longer than the current Roscolux ones. I can't recall the font, but the cover was a series of overlapping, multi-colored circles. It had a rivet; the Cinemoid swatchbook had a dark yellow cover and was held together with a single run of thick green string with brass half-aglets on each end.

Use up all your Roscolene as soon as you can, and buy modern color from now on. It's can't possibly take the heat of T/H lamps, which is why it became extinct in the mid 80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back