Where can I find HogII and other training?

salsa88

I'm interested in being a lighting programmer and was wondering where I could find training? I'm living in Las Vegas, NV. I have a been offered a chance to learn on a Grand MA but have to get Hog 11 training first. Also Where can I get certified for boom lifts and other lifts?

Re: Where can I find hog 11 and other training?

Your just wanting to jump right into everything aren't you. Training for lifts is usually done at the venue, and usually no venue will accept training done at another facility that is not connected to it. I know how to drive a forklift, but I don't at most places because I have not been trained there. Hog III training can be done either in Austin Texas or LA.

http://www.highend.com/support/training/

Look at different trade shows for HOG traning. I just got Hog IPC traning this past weekend at a small show offered by a local lighting company. Locally, we have a few companies that offer traning on lifts. In our area, National Ladder and Scaffold does the best. You may want to look into similar companies. I agree though, every place prefers you to have their traning. There is no official certification for a lift, it is just local / venue spicific.

~Dave

My lift certification is with Trico. It was called an scheduled at one of their places. It has been excepted everywhere I have been, and in some spaces I need it to operate the lift, otherwise insurance/s won't cover me. As for Hog training, the only way to become Hog Certified is to go to High End for their training course.

Your just wanting to jump right into everything aren't you.

What can I say, lightings all I've done sense I was 15. :lol:

Thank you guys, I will look into the training.

Hog 11? Last I knew we were on Hog III man I'm 8 versions of Hog behind.

http://stagecraftinstitute.com/ for one though there are better options. (No Derek I can't believe I posted it either)

Who are you getting MA training from in Vegas that wants you to learn Hog II first?

Also, high end as stopped offering Hog II training, you can only learn Hog III at their facility's. They do give you a swanky little card when you are done though.

Hog 11? Last I knew we were on Hog III man I'm 8 versions of Hog behind.
http://stagecraftinstitute.com/ for one though there are better options. (No Derek I can't believe I posted it either)
Who are you getting MA training from in Vegas that wants you to learn Hog II first?

At the risk of hijacking the thread, Stagecraft Institute makes me laugh. You're gonna train people on basic knots, AND flying humans in the same few days???

Start uncontrollable sarcastic laughter....NOW!

At the risk of hijacking the thread, Stagecraft Institute makes me laugh. You're gonna train people on basic knots, AND flying humans in the same few days???

Wow, just looked that up... I see a paradox, they teach you how to say NO, but at the same time you are taking to class....

I didn't say it was good option...I said it was an option.

i dont have a certification for a HOG II or III yet I used them all the time and I am on HES Hog III programmers list. I also am not certified to repair lights by any manufactuer but i do anyways have have come up with my own ways of repairing their design flaws. Yet, I am certified by JLG to use a lift through a local church here due to insurance reasons. Man, that certification was a joke, the guy was like here are the controls this one does so and so, then here are the tires, there are two that turn and the other two do not..... I was thinking you got to be kidding me.

Another option is to do what I'm doing. I'm learning the hog 3 now using the manual online and the free software download.

Here's the problem...you're learning the software and not the board.

There was a great article in an issue of Live Design (I looked online for it I'll have to find it at home later then find the link) about how there's a whole generation of people who have learned the software but not the boards. There's a whole lot more finess when using a console. Knowing where the hard buttons are ect.

I think downloading OE's is a great starting point but is by no means a substitute for logging hours in front of a console.

Good point, Grog12. Here's my 2¢.

Pick the console you're most likely to use. Download the manual and offline software, and often there's a tutorial as well. Once you believe you're thoroughly familiar with the software, contact your friendly local lighting shop to see if you can come in and "play" with a console. If you're lucky, they'll connect some lights to it or have a "pre-viz" studio to make the experience more realistic.

Feels like I've said all this before...yep, see this thread.

I usually go through the pc based software before sitting down in front of a console for the first time. I build my patch and some pallets so it saves me time at the venue standing there patching. You can get Hog II pc software to play with also.

I usually go through the pc based software before sitting down in front of a console for the first time. I build my patch and some pallets so it saves me time at the venue standing there patching. You can get Hog II pc software to play with also.

Which is great if you've used the board. I do the same thing.

Unfortunetly our friend here has the problem of not knowing either...

...I build my patch and some pallets so it saves me time at the venue standing there patching. ...
Sorry, but if I do it to gafftaper, I have to do it to you also.:twisted: Do you use the pallets to aid in material handling your freight? An artist, such as a lighting programmer, uses palettes.

nope, i use pallets, i stack all my data (such as colors and gobos) upon pallets, and the pallets that carry the info get moved around on little fork lifts throughout the console to the lights. :D

I like to use pale lits...like R02, R30 and R60

I have used the HOG III in school for a show so I do have some working knowledge of patching and recording cues but I have no working knowledge with programming moving lights with the HOG. I do know how to address them though. Also where can i find the software online to practice with?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back