Where can I get a bit of theater experience as a HS Student over the summer?

Hairkid

I just don't know where to start. My guess would be small local theaters. I have some experience with carpentry, fly bars, basic organization and a bit of management. Any advice or help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Volunterering would probably be your best bet with community theaters, especially if you can bring some experience that they don't have.

Best advice would be find any local theatre or roadhouse type place or your local rental house etc... (depending on what experience you're looking for) and see if they want volunteers or have any internships. Other piece of advice is don't call them fly bars, makes you sound inexperienced there, brushing up on terms is always helpful, just a thought.

Quickest way I gained experience was by looking to the smallest theater companies (even "Shakespeare in the park" stuff) and seeing what needs I could fill. Even if it was being a deck manager or general stagehand. Later I found it alot easier to get work with corporate and city event divisions. My first actual entertainment-related gig was setting up and striking those easter/christmas/etc photo op things in shopping malls. It's banal as hell, but it's grunt work that pays and can lead to more connections. You'll be surprised how far you can go by just listening and being there to do a favor for someone who may remember that on the next bigger gig.

But, that was how I started back when they still did events in shopping malls....

So from what I've read I should:
1: Look into local theaters
2: Take any experience in small gigs
3: Shine up on terms a bit
Also, do you think I would be more eligible to get some experience if I deny any pay and accept community service hours if possible? I feel like it would look good on a college application.

If you go the local theatre route, odds are, there won't be any pay to deny ;). However, community theatres can and often do vouch for community service hours. I remember getting a real rough stage hand when I was SM'ing once. We also got a few National Honor Society students. The rest of us were there because we were crazy and wanted to be there :D

However, community theatres can and often do vouch for community service hours.

I've racked up many honor society hours by ushering for a community theater and for working in a design and teaching role at my junior high. It doesn't feel like I'm going out of my way to get them when doing theatre.

So from what I've read I should:
1: Look into local theaters
2: Take any experience in small gigs
3: Shine up on terms a bit
Also, do you think I would be more eligible to get some experience if I deny any pay and accept community service hours if possible? I feel like it would look good on a college application.

Whatever you do: DON'T DENY A PAYCHECK!!! If they want to pay you, humbly nod, grab the check and shove it in the account :p The rest is a good plan. Just keep moving and keep working. Active is good! And, the moment you're able to strike all college or academic references for shows off your short resume, you will know you have enough to take on the rest of them in the job market

Are there any large theaters doing summer youth theater programs in your area? At least in this area, these programs often have a small tech budget and people working on them who would love to have a young person help on the tech side of the production as well. Make some calls!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back