Where can I get more experience

Rico LD

I'm a junior in high school looking to extend my knowledge in technical theater. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good ways I can gain more experience, whether through summer jobs, or internships, paid or unpaid I don't care at the time being. Really I'd just love to find somewhere I can do something I love while learning from people who do it as a living.

I've looked around for some places where I could possibly gain experience but haven't had much luck. My TD at school has told me that it is hard when your under 18 for liability reasons but I'm not giving up.

Iwill be 17 this June and live near Boston Massachusetts. If anyone has any general advice for how to gain experience or if anyone lives in the area and knows any specific places I could intern at or something I would greatly appreciate hearing what you guys have to say.

I agree that you will have difficulty until you are 18. I was able to volunteer at a local college during their summer stock when I was in HS. You might be able to go that route. I would just try every single theater company listed in your area. You can also gain experience working at one of the mega-churches that might be in the area. They are one of the largest consumers of technical equipment right now.

Is there a Six flags near you? For better or worse I believe they hire people under 18.

Due to your age a lot of your options would be volunteer through community organizations. There is nothing wrong with that , at your age its a good avenue for you to do more then just whats available in your HS.

Is there a Six flags near you? For better or worse I believe they hire people under 18.

Due to your age a lot of your options would be volunteer through community organizations. There is nothing wrong with that , at your age its a good avenue for you to do more then just whats available in your HS.

I agree with this. Community Theatre, despite the stereotypes, can expose you to lots of practical experience while working with people of varying backgrounds. Not everyone there is an amateur - I'm a professional pyrotechnician acting as lighting designer for a Community Theatre show as we speak, and there are many similar stories across the board.
That said, they are usually looking for anyone willing to do whatever it is they need - the only prerequisite is a fairly open schedule.

I have heard negative things about working at Six Flags from current coworkers who previously worked for the company, but I'm sure that not all parks are the same. If nothing else, they did learn a lot - even if what they learned was what they didn't enjoy doing.

Stick with the volunteer approach. That is hard these days due to all the regulations. I started doing volunteer work in theater/entertainment when I was 12. At 17, I founded my first company. Of course, that was back in the 1960's so I don't think it would even be possible today. Still, working with the equipment in an unofficial apprenticeship, even with no pay, is the best way to learn and develop a reputation as well as a work history. When you work with the equipment, you will learn the jargon and be able to speak fluid "techie" at a future job interview, not because you read it in a book, but because you actually worked with the stuff. Generally, those doing such interviews can easily spot the difference.

You may consider looking into local theaters owned by the city.

I only did unpaid shows—high school and local community theater—until I was 18. After that, the high school drama teacher wanted to pay me a stipend to be LD her show, and I wanted to keep doing her shows (I ended up TD because I don't believe in schools hiring design staff out). Then the director of the musical wanted to pay me a stipend to TD, and I wanted to do the show, so I did. During that show, the TD of a local youth program approached me to be spot op for a show, and I followed that. Now I'm LD for that company, looking at being an assistant theater technician at my old high school (Manager, but without the administrative hours/pay), and I am on the board of a non-profit in the area and work at the community college summer program, this year filling the roll of AME. I also work as the "Theater Tech Support" for one of the three theaters owned by my city, and trying to get into the other two. And I got all these jobs because of previous jobs I had (the youth company does shows in the city-owned theater).

So, yes, unpaid shows will lead to paid shows if you put in hard work and make friends with the adult generation. They're the generation who will hire you for 90% of the jobs you will do.

I'm sure you've heard of community theater groups in Boston. Just send a few emails and make a few calls. Find out who's who, and make people know that you are happy doing the labor—and do the labor well.

I'd second Ruinexplorer's suggestion of checking out your church. If they're anything like mine, they're always looking for volunteers and age really doesn't matter. Pretty much my entire camera crew are teenagers, and I expect other churches are similar.

I got my start running sound for my church. They were more than happy to be able to get me in the rotation of sound guys. Also, I have several high schoolers that help out when I LD for a community theater near by. Free help is always appreciated.

Also, stop by http://offstagejobs.com/jobs.php and check the boston area. Several places looking for help over the summer. If you aren't qualified for the job, they may have internships available.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back