Where do you find vintage looking props?

So the title pretty much says it all. I always have trouble when it comes to vintage props. I try local antique places, internet sites, even make a few (I made a lute once and a blood transfusion device that really looked like it pumped blood), but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on particular internet sites maybe, other easier options i could look into.

My current dilemma involves vintage manual typewriters for the show "how to succeed in business without really trying." Everything I find on the net are way way out of my price range. They don't even have to work, just click.

Anyways thanks for any suggestions.

Salvation Army-type stores are great, as are the junkier antique stores. You may also want to look for soon-to-be-demolished buildings and try to talk your way in there to look around.

Now, I have a couple of old typewriters that are in pretty awful shape that you would be welcome to borrow if you could find a way to get them from Texarkana. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Good luck!

I may take you up on that offer. We won't have our first production meeting till September, I 'm just trying to get ahead of the game.

thanks

I go to estate sales and auctions all the time. There is an antique auction in my location that happens once a month they pull stuff out of houses all over the place. I rarely pay more then $5. Once I got a whole bedroom set for $2. I see typewriters at those all the time they almost never go over $10.

I go to estate sales and auctions all the time. There is an antique auction in my location that happens once a month they pull stuff out of houses all over the place.

Do they do "official" receipts at those auctions? I work at a college and they won't reimburse me without one, its why can't just go to flea markets. They also, for some reason, won't let me do ebay either.

anyways, thanks for the help.

yes in WI they are required to give you a printed receipt. I also work for a college. I often ether requisition petty cash or a credit card before I go but most of the time I pay for it and requisition the reimbursement. they will reimburse me for Ebay as well they just will not pay for tax. also one thing I have done is make my own company with official looking receipts and they will not refuse me. I call my self Wright Way Stage Products. they have a file for me and everything.

I would try calling other local colleges and theatres. I've borrowed some pretty cool stuff locally. Check with Texas Wesleyan. I think I saw several typewriters the last time I was pulling stuff.

Do they do "official" receipts at those auctions? I work at a college and they won't reimburse me without one, its why can't just go to flea markets. They also, for some reason, won't let me do ebay either

Having gone through the receipt issue, I came up with the following techniques. Check with your local PTB to see if it would be accepted before spending your own money. For Flea Markets and garage sales etc. I bought a receipt book at Staples ( get a receipt for the receipt book!) and when making purchases at those types of sources, I would make out the receipt and have the vendor sign it, add an address, phone # and business card if available. The university decided it was an acceptable method. For E-bay I had a friend buy it and then they "sold" the item to me with the receipt method outlined above. I never tried to "fool" the university, the whole thing was quite open, but it gave them a "Vendor" and receipt for the record books. YMMV but what the heck, give it a try. HTH.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, props is all about having relationships with props people from every theatre in town. Someone's got those typewriters.

Here in Denver there's this lady who freelances in props, and knows every single item every single theatre company has. Maybe there's someone like that near you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back