Where to begin installing a new lighting truss?

1584270016042-7d958eac-36e1-46af-84c8-3202bfc10e41.jpg

Sorry, had some sort of error trying to add it to the previous post. The white rectangle is the building/room of note.

At least the taller "white" portion along with other photos you posted looks like It is a pre-engineered -"Butler"- building.

My guess is that whomever hung the existing stage lighting never considered structure. Lots of that happens everywhere.

Whether or not the existing structure would support a truss and how it might be reinforced to do so is beyond my structural design capabilities.

just out of curiousity ... is this the same place with chiller / brownout issue, or are you doubly blessed with trouble at present?

just out of curiousity ... is this the same place with chiller / brownout issue, or are you doubly blessed with trouble at present?

Two separate buildings with two separate back burner issues that are now occupying attention given our circumstances. I could do a whole other thread about the strange electric issues at the church (weird building ground, nominal 125-130V mains, etc). The expansion of this facility would be an interesting analysis project for Stewart Brand I'd suspect. The above photo shows the initial building on that site, but here's the present layout of the campus with added sanctuary and preschool wing:

Screenshot 2020-03-20 at 8.40.24 AM.png

Now I know Florida is different but I don't think the county owns and operates churches yet.
Now THAT'S a whole other thread. I just work here, man :oops:

Do what ETC did when they had a similar situation in their new building - build a MODtruss frame under it. Stuff is silly-strong, especially when laminated.

So revisting this thread a bit. I've been told they are getting an engineer on site to survey and give an opinion. Going down the ground supported road though, what resources are available? We essentially are looking for a FOH span of some flavor. If it is ground supported, aesthetics will come into play. I was going to reach out to the Mod Truss people because I know lots of people recommend it, but as far as designing a FOH truss in this situation is it just a matter of speaking to manufacturers and seeing what products they recommend?

Revisiting this thread a bit. I've been told they are getting an engineer on site to survey and give an opinion. Going down the ground supported road though, what resources are available? We essentially are looking for an FOH span of some flavor. If it is ground supported, aesthetics will come into play. I was going to reach out to the Mod Truss people because I know lots of people recommend it, but as far as designing an FOH truss in this situation is it just a matter of speaking to manufacturers and seeing what products they recommend?
A few queries:
- Is your floor level and adequately supported for what are effectively two point loads?
- Have you space for ground support without impeding / reducing secondary and / or tertiary emergency egress routes??
- Have you space and a means of accommodating outriggers and / or guy lines???
- Do you have a plan for focusing luminaires when they are at height????
- Do you have adequate liability insurance in place?????
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Concrete slab in good shape, carpet tiles over that. The venue has no permanent seating and egress can be arranged so as to accommodate a ground support system. There's space for outriggers for sure. Not sure about guylines. We do have a lift on site for access and I would guess the liability insurance in place would also cover anything like this, but a good time to check the policy to make sure they're not unhappy about modifications.

Manufacturer's can be a good place to start to give you the ballpark of what is possible within their normal systems.

You should probably end up working with rigging company of some sort to ensure that all the safety concerns are met, and that you're actually getting something that does what you need, rather than what the manufacturer has available in their normal inventory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back