Where to buy wagon wheels...

Does anyone know of a company from which I could buy large (affordable) weight-bearing wagon wheels? Or any sort of spoked wheel (preferably with rubber tires)? I need to build a cart for prop use onstage and we really need a set of nice wheels instead of the wooden ones I've made in the past.

Thanks!

Do a search for rodeo companies, many of them do buckboard racing so they need them to build them. PM me, I have a rodeo coming in my building Thursday, I can check with them.

I'm assuming that by 'wagon wheel', you mean an actual horse-drawn wagon wheel, with wooden hubs and spokes, as opposed to industrial casters for scenic wagons.

If there are any Amish in your area, they probably have someone who builds/maintains wagons and buggys and could help you out. Or, try asking people who are into horses or restoring antique farm equipment. Antique stores will usually just have old wheels, often in bad repair and not in complete sets.

How about heavy duty 'Garden cart' wheels with some applique to make them appear as if they were wood rather than spoked. You could easily remove spoke in key spots then cover the other spokes with Luan, or 1/4 ply to make the look of the wooden spokes, the perimeter could be done with Ethy-foam.

..or you can buy the real thing for $90.

..or you can buy the real thing for $90.

True. 'Course that's $400 + dollars for one cart < when you add in shipping. As opposed to $30 + dollars per wheel, then $20 for luan and or paint.

We just finished making a chariot with those wheels for a new unnameable concert tour:
proxy.php

and this coach we made using them for Cindreralla
http://www.costumearmour.com/cdcoach.htm

If you can afford them these wheels are well worth the cost, if not Van's approach can work well with tighter budgets and shorter runs.

Last edited:
Brian ! That is Beautiful !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back