Where to get cheap royalty-free sound fx?

1) The computer we have doesn't have web access
2) how do you eddit out adds?

I would do all of your work on a separate internet connected device and then transfer the files over via a flash drive. On the playback device itself, use a software like QLab or SFX to take care of the rest (adjusting start and end times, etc.)

If you use YouTube videos you can convert them to MP3 files through a simple online search for a conversion. Clipcpnverter.CC is a good site. But just googling “YouTube to MP3” will lead to many results.

Freesound.org has a few types of free licenses with various (sometimes no) conditions.

I'm not saying you'll end up in court, but I'm pretty sure ripping anything from YouTube violates terms of service regardless of what the content creator thinks of it.

Unfortunately for some content creators such as myself, YouTube is the easiest means to publish.
Whenever you see sound fx on YouTube, always make sure it is clearly stated that it is free to use by the owner.

Sometimes you may get lucky and find a link to a free download of the file.

At the end of the day - YouTube is a tool to express everyone’s creativity and if your form of creativity is repurposing already made sound effects; then go ahead and use all the resources at your disposal. It may not be the most kosher way of doing things but it certainly will get the job done

From YouTube's terms of service:
5. Your Use of Content
In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of Content.

1. The Content on the Service, and the trademarks, service marks and logos ("Marks") on the Service, are owned by or licensed to YouTube, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law.
  2. Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.
Utilizing services that can provide you with a certificate of use is the best way to go. If the YouTube sound effect has the download button and states terms of use, then go for it.

The Hollywood Edge has a fantastic collection and you can preview effects before you Down load/pay for them. They used to have a huge selection of usable FREE effects that were very high quality as well. check them out at Hollywoodedge.com.

I've used AudioBlocks for sfx & music beds. If you can find a free trial (that's what I did) you can get a limited number of downloads and I believe you can use the files forever. If not, you can pay $15 to sign up for 1 month, download unlimited files and also use forever. Not the greatest but cheap or free.

AudioBlocks "Billed Monthly" Plans

EDIT: I can't find the 7 day free trial offer anymore (I last signed up almost a year ago) but if you choose Monthly Billing, you can take advantage of unlimited downloads for a month for $15.

Last edited:
Garageband, a free application on MacOS, has a effect section that has tons and tons of royalty free sound effects.
Most are designed as synthesizer instruments, so things like applause and traffic noise can be note based and repeat indefinitely.
Then export as whatever file type you like.

The BBC archive is great, but not really useful/free without the license. It does say educational use is fine, but when you look further into the rules, it specifically means in classes, NOT for educational theatre uses.

From their Remarc License:
"For formal education purposes while you are a student or a member of staff of a school, college or university (for example if you are enrolled on a university or college course, or if you are a school pupil, or you are a teacher and you wish to display the content on an electronic whiteboard, including images in a printed class worksheet)

When you need permission if you’re intending to use it for any other purpose, for example… -for commercial purposes - to make a profit -for non-profit and government organizations, .. you’ll need to get our permission first, and you might have to pay a fee"

Last edited:
Depending on the effects you need. You could get creative and just take your phone outside and record some fxs yourself.

Slap a windscreen on your mic section and goto town.

Unfortunately for some content creators such as myself, YouTube is the easiest means to publish.
Whenever you see sound fx on YouTube, always make sure it is clearly stated that it is free to use by the owner.

Sometimes you may get lucky and find a link to a free download of the file.

At the end of the day - YouTube is a tool to express everyone’s creativity and if your form of creativity is repurposing already made sound effects; then go ahead and use all the resources at your disposal. It may not be the most kosher way of doing things but it certainly will get the job done

Thats what FREESOUND PROJECT is for... No need at all to "publish" on SFX to YouTube, freesound.org has free membership and you can upload any/all of your sound effects for free and assign whatever licence options you want (such as "go ahead and use it")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back