College where to go from college

jezzirolk

this is my first post here but i am a bit lost as what to do. I am a senior at a well know engineering school for electrical engineering. i really love theatre and whenever i get a chance to do it i do but with an engineering workload this just keeps getting harder. So i am at a loss, i will have no debt so that is a plus but don't know where to go. do i find a school and go for technical theatre somewhere or do i try to jump right into the industry. and with either of these options i have no idea where, or what degree to work toward or how exactly one goes about getting a job in the industry. So a bit of enlightenment would be appreciated for a lost college student who needs to figure out whats next.

--Jezzirolk

First off welcome to the Booth!

School depends on what you want to do in your career. If you want to work as an electrician or something along those lines, you probably can jump right into work and learn a lot from on the job experience. If you want to design, you'll probably want to go through a program. I currently am in the BFA Design Tech program at UCF focusing in lighting and sound design. If you want to get some more information about the UCF program, just send me a PM and I'd be happy to talk about it.

Good luck

And the plot thickens....

Just start applying to jobs! Get on offstage jobs and artsearch and send a resume to any job that looks interesting even if you don't meet the exact qualifications. Send cold resumes to anyone you would like to work for. Don't tie up more time with school if you already have your bachelors. Are you planning on getting licensed? Look at the requirements for the ETCP cert and work towards that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

There are also TONS of non-production careers in theater. You don't have to work on the stage to work in theater and enjoy the community. This video from ETC Cue 2013 talks about this more in depth.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(I'm not sure if you tube embeds work yet)

EDIT: I guess they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay. So I wasn't able to find the Introductions thread. This is also my first post. If I may answer your question, I would concentrate more on my electrical engineering studies first. Consider the fact that you are on your senior year (last year), so I guess finishing your engineering studies is an ideal plan. Your plans for technical theatre can come after that.

Does this help? I hope it does :)!

All the best.

Welcome to the Booth @Georgia20. If you are looking to introduce yourself, we have a whole forum for that!

You my friend are in the magic window where internships are possible. Internships are often the key which opens the door to amazing career opportunities. If I were you I would contact every manufacturer I could find in lighting and sound and ask them if they have internships that you might be able to apply for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back