Where to sell scenery?

Synchronize

I'm pretty sure that there are rules against one selling something on Control Booth so I'd just like to find out where one might go about it.

Give us 1 week or possibly sooner and all of the buying/selling issues on CB will be taken care of. Seriously this time.

Woo hoo!

That is all, normal broadcasting will resume shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be great! Oh, how I would love to be able to get rid of this stuff and be able to move in my garage again.

Don't know what type of scenery you are selling but if listed as per a Mural or art type of thing on sites like say E-Bay, you might also get some non-theater customers.

I remeber this like 12x12' drop I got from my Aunt a science teacher at one point. It was of the Earth at the center and really cool to hang from my long past apartment's lighting grid. Really cool as focal point in a house to light and pick up the coloing to. No idea of what happened to it years later, but at some point I off the theater market, as a home owner, even I beame a customer for such drops or flats to decorate my home.

Remember seeing what my parents paid thousands of dollars to paint in their textured paint home, and that I could have done so perhaps even better given my past scenic painting classes in school.

I might be a bit out of the norm as a home owner that has looked for flats in the past to decorate my house with, but if you watch much say D1Y.. such concepts for design at home have resale value I think in value from drop to a wall of flats in someone's home that's worth a lot.

This and also given the talents one learns as a scenic painter is well cash worthy for the homeowner market. As above the simple say dragging technique used in one room of my parents house... any theater person will have been able to do and cheaper with a profit.

My own house...., bedroom has a sort of trellis topped sun porch in Victorian 19th century British occupied India concept to it. Took about a month to paint the layering, stencils etc. This much less the wet blended striped back wall and further stenciled for foliage back wall. Will take endless coats of paint to re-paint it should I sell the house, but very happy with our design for the bedroom.

Buying scenery for a room especially for say a living room would be cheper, easier to resale and be of even more status for those that "can't" in telling the legend of how they were brilliant in acquiring stage scenery for their house. This is as if a mural was painted for their house yet cheaper in I think many customers out there for "sate of the art" for their homes yet cheaper than known of art.

Sell the scenery as if a mural in being honest but showing what the customer can get. See where the bid can take it.

What's a real shame is all the scenery once hung from grids out of storage that's now gone. What would such drops be worth? I remember a telling of a theater that was long gone and it's fly house was bricked in - this until the later 90's Condo boom which was to tear down the final part of the long past theater amongst a few in the area and region. This one in particular at the intersection of Ashland, Lincoln and Belmont where some people from a theater I worked at had to repel in from the roof above so as to save some stuff from the place - this in going in amongst the antique drops still hanging. How I wish I could have seen the place or other places I heard about salvaging gear from in the later 90's, but other than attending the give away at the Chicago Park District's scene shop "Round House" closing and that of a few small theaters, I never got to salvage stuff from historic theaters - this other than the round house itself which was historic as an old scene shop and had lots of great stuff.

Had I known of it's closing... as a worker for the City at the time and in sharing a building with another department of the Park Distract... I will have liked to "save" a lot more than I got a chance to from that building - before contractors and for profits' got their chance to run in and grab what they could. Often how it happens at times in getting free stuff, at other times, have to beg them to take it away when not a list of people out to grab free stuff.

The round house was a great adventure for me. This was the scene shop for the Chicago Park Distract and as advertised - used to be a round house for turning around trains as a concept. It's closing down was a sign of the times as a concpt of community development and also similar at that boom time for business, huge amount of scene shops and other places lined up in front of the place ready to grab what they could to salvage before the building got torn down. They even had a huge dug in drop painting adjustable wall. For my City Department and for me, I got a lot of stuff and it was an adventure given it was only me and a team mate against all others that had more people and were more experienced seemingly at the time in grabbing what was great. None the less we filled up two SUV's with gear from that give away race.

Hmm, got off subject... Believe I remember some drops in the round house... wonder as with other places I'm told about in finally being torn down what happened to their drops. Doubt if they were offered to the market in their own merit for resale say to rich homeowners so as to decorate their homes with. Question of what percentage also of those homeowner's say wives had a role say in Anti' Mame during High School, who might 30 years later in wanting to re-live her high school years of fame, and be fancy in her house... say scenic design her house for such a glory point in her life? Such scenery if available on the market...

This getting back to my origional concept - got this 12' Earth drop from an Aunt. Was cool so I kept it but it wasn't something I was specifically interested in. It did on the other hand create a sort of wish for scenery for me at home this be it in my painting it or in buying it. I can paint it, most like my parents cannot.

Scencery is worth money to home owners I believe. It's I think a totally non-developed market at this point. Perhaps list it now and see if you can get money for it - shipping might be a problem - even if shipping was designed around the train car shipping size for classic shipping flat needs.... Such flats don't fit into modern UPS trucks these days. Might have to de-frame and roll up such flats these days or coordiante special shipping.

That's a problem but once that concept is done of shipping, I believe the scenic artistry / show drop or scenery market as if mural to the art world and customers - especially for those of theater in the past or those looking to develop a theater concept in their house could be a good market for theater drops. Heck I was married in Vagus.. whole place was one big theater set. People want such stuff for houses and even burger joints.

This in me thinking theater scenery give a shot for selling it for profit, than perhaps trade or sell to others, than save than try again a few years later if quality as a concept.

How's the situation looking?

CB Classifieds

---------
... This one in particular at the intersection of Ashland, Lincoln and Belmont where some people from a theater I worked at had to repel in from the roof above so as to save some stuff from the place ...
Used to live two blocks from there. Never knew there was a theater in the neighborhood.
This one?
proxy.php

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/397/

What's the latest on the Uptown Theatre?

Last edited:
CB Classifieds

---------

Used to live two blocks from there. Never knew there was a theater in the neighborhood.
This one?
proxy.php

Cinema Treasures | Belmont Theater

What's the latest on the Uptown Theatre?

Never knew there was a theater at that corner either, much less even if long gone, still the backstage as bricked up at that corner while I was still there either. Just kind of like a building with no access to it lasting years and years until the condo boom. This as opposed to a spectacular bath house a few blocks south of it on Belmont which has to have been a theater yet isn't now.

Almost pissed off at the time when I as a temp. / new to them still on the staff at the Athanaum in being told about that corner fly loft and not asked to help get some gear from it. This as with tales from my store front theater in it's early days in getting stuff from the Uptown in the late 80's. I was always a day late and a dollar short in those adventures. Wasn't a day late at the round house and I wonder what types of drops they had rolled up in bins... but I was carpentry at that point for the city's scene shop and a TD at a theater without use for other than what I had time to grab and room for in loading up the car before other more organized places grabbed that day. Also remember tales of a dinner theater closing I was invited to but didn't have time to get to - trailer's full of stuff, but did get to a few store front theaters in my days and got some good stuff from them. When my own theater closed down... sure some offered money and later took it away for free but in the end we left behind a huge amount of stuff that amazed me. This beyond like ten road boxes full of stuff plus lights I was paying storage for until I dispersed or assimulated to other places or my current garage. Entire road case full of pig iron steel.... know how much 1/4" plate sells for? This road case was very difficult to get down the main stair case to our theater. In the end the road cases I built were worth more than the gear saved within them and I had to make a few more out of the lumber racks full of lumber at closing just to make a few more bucks towards our bills paying off - including my own credit card bills.

The Uptown.. been a few years since I was vibrant in the community. Know my old store front theater got most of its 66 mainstage seats out of it and perhaps I have two 8x16's from it, the seats are now Studio II at the Athanaeum. I remember reading articles about people preserving it, and others about it getting ready to open again, but I haven't heard since. One would hope it could replace the Congress on Milwaukee that's had a bit too little proper care and a bit too many trash bands over the years in going to sleep for a while in becoming restored. People really use this fly system? (At least my impressions of it from about 15 years ago when I worked a show thereas the ME for the Band. I would hope it has improved since than.) On the other hand helped out at a store front theater some that was once a hotel and this company made a theater out of a speak easy secret bar within it. Cops's didn't know... Very interesting "found space."

Still though.. the tales of these old drops still hanging people had to repell between so as to get to the stage says not just adventure but also a lost era and artform that later got trashed no doubt. Remember during lunch breaks in setting up the first or perhaps second Kris Kindle market in Daily Center Plaza for the City, (later 90's) going to the local McDonalds for lunch every day and watching across the street from it the tear down of a or two really old theater buildings' I forget the name of. Really old historic ones. Really was drapery and or scenery as torn and shreaded being ripped apart every day while watching it happen as the theater was torn apart.

Yet to visit some theater I once heard about with like seven stories of fly space and almost endless old drops stored in the upper spaces.

All of this was well before my own drop at home I enjoyed and later doing my own scenic painting at home. Such resale to the homeowner market in flats and drops I think as a concept in saving such historic or well done things that otherwise became destroyed. Ho many Audrie II's are in landfills now as opposed to in some lobby? Overall, I really support that concept that there could be a market for the resale of such things under general guidelines of murals or artwork, this for homeowners or say fast food places that want to decorate with it, and/or that person shopping for such a thing with money in having a past say affiliation with the theater thus feeling say romantic about it and scenery for it.

When I stopped doing theater, I developed that sense of scenery and even wanted for a time to buy a drop. This or I have this magazine image picture I wish I could paint and at some pont might or hire someone to paint for me. Might be a small market for drops and people in a nitche market. Might even be better for sale the soft flats or drops to be more worth in sales what's shorter in grand scale - what one can fit into a house.

Still though I think there is a household market in addition to a market for used drops to other theaters as a concept. What ever the case and in the case of both... flame treating of the drop or flat might become very important on front and rear. Such preserving and flame treating might be a necessary cost to sell or specific recommendation to be done upon sale of the scenery - this by way of a professional scene shop doing it. Liability type of thing as added cost but a necessary thing I think. What ever gets sold will need flame treating professionally once sold to no matter who buys it.

Wonder if E-Bay has a sub agreement part of it that allows for things like that? I agree that this item is flammable and I will flame treat it and due to this flammability question do agree that the seller is not responsible for any future problems with this scenery given this agreement....

Something like that as a problem with sold scenery just as with selling lights or gear which if unsafe could be your liability in the end I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back