College Which colleges to look at. Please help.

TuckerD

First off, I know this has been posted a thousand times but because of my location and my interests I like to think this is unique so thanks for your help. :grin:
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
This year I will be a Senior in High school and its time for me to start applying to colleges. For the last two semesters I have been taking classes in Computer Science from Rocky Mtn College in Billings, MT (where I live) and will continue taking classes there for the next two semesters. Because of the credits I will have and the fact that I love both Computer Science and Technical Theater: Lighting Design I know I want to double major. RMC has a technical theater program but I'm afraid that I wont be able to build very extensive connections at a small school in the middle of theater nowhere. I have also started the conversation with SUNY Fredonia's theatre and dance department because the school offers both majors. My SAT and ACT scores are fairly good and I don't think I will have much of a problem getting into a school.

I am building a resume and a website to display my portfolio online. If you want to take a look it can be found at Tucker Downs - Lighting Design. Also this year I will be working at a community theater where I will have first pick of what shows I want to design. Their season can be found at Venture Musicals | Venture Theatre - Lobby and Producer’s Series | Venture Theatre - Lobby. I would be involved at my high school but there theater department sucks and a lack of lights and the freedom to design with them is crippling.

Finally, in 10 or 15 years I see myself designing software/firmware for ETC's lights and boards.

Thanks for your help guys!

Knowing your location, have you looked into The University of Montana? I'm not sure how they stack up on Computer Science but that is my alma matter.

Take a look at Carnegie Mellon's BXA program.
Specifically, there is an option to get an interdisciplinary degree between the school of computer science and the school of drama.

Last edited:
I have looked at other Universities in Montana but I don't feel like anything compares to what rocky has to offer me. There CS is going to be better and they offer a specifically technical theater degree rather than a general theatre degree. The advantage to Fredonia is that they have a BFA Technical Theatre with a focus in LD. The training would be slightly better and I feel like the opportunities to connect with the industry would be slightly better. I feel like I would be just as good off going to Rocky over UMT, especially since I think I can get some good scholarships from RMC.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As far as Carnegie goes in order to be accepted into the BCSA program I would have to be accepted into both the arts program and the CS program and then apply. I don't think I have great shots at getting into Carnegie in the first place. That and its a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Take a look at Carnegie Mellon's BXA program.
Specifically, there is an option to get an interdisciplinary degree between the school of computer science and the school of drama.

If I remember correctly, the BXA does not apply to design students.

Look at smaller, liberal artsy schools. They're more likely to make it possible to do a double major, and because of the lack of students, often you can get tons of individual attention and work in lighting even if you aren't a major.

That said, I don't know, I'm your age, almost exactly. Also, I'm in a similar scenario, so if you want to PM me and trade notes, feel free.

My recommendations for Northwest Schools (should you not want to go too far from home):

I have a former student who's currently having a fantastic time down at Southern Oregon University. SOU has all kinds of ties to the festival in Ashland, which is fantastic. The opportunities to get real world experience are a huge advantage that many schools don't have.

Also I've had students who are really happy with the program at Central Washington University (Ellensburg). CWU is a smaller program but because it's smaller you have more opportunities to do things. Personally I just really love their tech faculty. I can't imagine anyone not both learning a lot and feeling a great personal connection to the staff.

As per my self what I am going o suggest you is that you should try in following universities. Colombia university.University of Chicago.Stanford university.California institute of technology.I would recommend s these are very well reputed institutions for IT and technologies.But keep it in mind that you should keep looking for more information as this forum is full of with such information.

My suggestion is to get off the fence and pick a major. The professional world doesn't care what your major is...we care about what you studied. Pick a major, select a college/university that best embodies that major...see it through...take courses in the other area along the way if you like...but having the title "double major" doesn't really help you one way or the other. Refine your studies when you get to graduate school (I.E. Masters/Doctorate). This allows you to do both without committing to overly long or expensive programs.

I have to disagree. If you can successfully double major and want to, do it. You'll have 2 degrees instead of one which means you're instantly more marketable. I'd give someone with 2 degrees more weight than a person who has one, but took a couple of classes in (insert whatever). That said money and time is a factor for most people, so don't go crazy. Perfect example is I've got a friend who double majored in tech with an emphasis in sound, and had his other degree in sound engineering. So he got the recording and t-comm side of the education too. Worked out nicely for him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep in mind to, get as much non academic experience as possible while in school. if you graduate with two degrees but all your experience is academic you will be at a huge disadvantage at trying to find a gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back