Which fixture is this?

MPowers

I have been tasked with the repair and refurbishment of a few of a small number, of a local theatre group’s lighting units. Although I did a lot of lighting in my early years, the last time I really worked lighting, other than to install dimmers and various control panels around the house and back stage, was roughly 1984-85. They are all conventional as opposed to LED. I have a few questions if anyone can help me.
1. One of the units is an ETC, source four ellipsoidal, but for the life of me I can’t find any marking or label to tell if it is a 5 degree or 10 degree. See photo. Any clues?
2. There are about a half dozen 6” fresnels, old style, need a med PF T-20 lamp. Looking for a source for the lamps.
3. There are 3 units that look like a standard 6” fresnel but have been converted to a double ended TH lamp. I think it is an EHR , the marking on the lamp ends is rubbed off. Looking for a source for the lamps.

Just looking for a bit of help. TIA for any info.

Attachments

• 26C203A8-F28A-4564-9711-D9E067E18C78.jpeg
    26C203A8-F28A-4564-9711-D9E067E18C78.jpeg
    411.1 KB · Views: 304
  • 8C1E4563-C097-48CD-A12D-89298507871F.jpeg
    8C1E4563-C097-48CD-A12D-89298507871F.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 295
  • 1CBAF331-E588-46D5-B8C3-A9746155D58F.jpeg
    1CBAF331-E588-46D5-B8C3-A9746155D58F.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
I have been tasked with the repair and refurbishment of a few of a small number, of a local theatre group’s lighting units. Although I did a lot of lighting in my early years, the last time I really worked lighting, other than to install dimmers and various control panels around the house and back stage, was roughly 1984-85. They are all conventional as opposed to LED. I have a few questions if anyone can help me.
1. One of the units is an ETC, source four ellipsoidal, but for the life of me I can’t find any marking or label to tell if it is a 5 degree or 10 degree. See photo. Any clues?
2. There are about a half dozen 6” fresnels, old style, need a med PF T-20 lamp. Looking for a source for the lamps.
3. There are 3 units that look like a standard 6” fresnel but have been converted to a double ended TH lamp. I think it is an EHR , the marking on the lamp ends is rubbed off. Looking for a source for the lamps.

Just looking for a bit of help. TIA for any info.
For a really basic starting point, measure the diameter of the 10 and 5 degree lenses and compare their diameters to ETC's specifications, one is large and the other larger. From memory, something like 12" and 14".
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
1. Pretty sure it's a 10°. Takes a 12"x12" colorframe. If 5°, it would be a 14"x14" frame. Also, 5° is the only one with a handle on the lens tube.
2. Modern T/H replacement for incandescent T-20 lamp is BTL 500w or BTN 750w, or BTH 575w which has color temperature to match the SourceFour.
3. Not an HPL or HTL. Can you measure and tell us the distance between contacts, to determine MOL (maximum overall length)? Fixtures may not have been converted; might have been "born that way." When the T/H lamps first came to market mid-late 1960s, many manufacturers, including the Altman 65Q, changed sockets and reflectors to enable use of Q/I lamps. Or at least offered the RSC as an option. Not a very good one, but an option nonetheless.

3. Not an HPL or HTL. Can you measure and tell us the distance between contacts, to determine MOL (maximum overall length)? Fixtures may not have been converted; might have been "born that way." When the T/H lamps first came to market mid-late 1960s, many manufacturers, including the Altman 65Q, changed sockets and reflectors to enable use of Q/I lamps. Or at least offered the RSC as an option. Not a very good one, but an option nonetheless.
I think the double ended lamp is an EHR.

For a really basic starting point, measure the diameter of the 10 and 5 degree lenses and compare their diameters to ETC's specifications, one is large and other larger. From memory, something like 12" and 14".
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
For a really basic starting point, measure the diameter of the 10 and 5 degree lenses and compare their diameters to ETC's specifications, one is large and other larger. From memory, something like 12" and 14".
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Thanks for the 12”/14” info. New to me! Strangely enough, that is not mentioned in the S4 User Manual.

That's not a stage light it's a reflection of a camera used by Stanley Kubrick to fake the moon landing!

Wait, wrong thread.

1)Your ETC look like 575w version given the lack of rear handles. Only the lamp cap assembly is needed for upgrade in the handles, holes drilled and 16ga instead of 18ga wiring to the lamp cap. No idea on the lens, but if you measure it, I can measure from stock.

2)Fresnels, replace the P-28s lamp socket and replace with BTH (the 3,2K color temperature, high output version matching the Leko above, or BTN or BTL normal. T-20 lamps are obsolete and inefficient.

3)Fresnels with TH/Quartz upgrade are museum. I have one, converted it back to normal in loosing it's TH mounting bracket. They were the 1964 thru say 72' concept of going halogen in a Fresnel and even in Leko's. The first invention of the quartz halogen lamp was dual ended... so fixtures and upgrade kits to them were much sold. There is no current purpose for them at this point given most Fresnels converted to P-28s Halogen lamps with smaller filaments. Your fixture, either in coming with the 2.3/8" RSC lamp or adapted to it will easily convert back to a standard P-28s lamp socket assembly. As I did years ago on mine, I for it bought a new Altman 65Q burner assembly. (Reflector, carriage and lamp base) and it fit into what ever age of fixture.

Challenge or unfortunate for me, almost 30 years later... I have the Fresnel, I have the reflector and lamp base... just don't have the metal carriage that supported either in the fixture. If possible, send me this supporting mechanism, as with the S-4 575 lamp cap as I don't have that version of S-4 in museum either. Chat in exchange off line.

I'm hoping you get to refurb that lovely popcorn machine in the pix as well!

1. It's an ETC 10 degree Lens tube. Look at images by googling them both. A 5 degree tube has a longer portion of the wide area in the neck.
2. Highly suggest BTH 575W 115V lamps for the 6" Fresnels! Color temp will match your 575W 115V HPLs in the Source Four fixture(s).
3. Contact any of the larger lamp distributors dealers about that double-ended lamp. In no particular order: Bulbtronics, Barbizon, Techni-lux, Kennedy Webster, RST/Visions In Color, BulbAmerica, BulbConnection, etc. all are likely to be able to help you. Microlamp in Ft. Lauderdale also stocks a lot of older lamps if I recall. Might give them a try.

oh, gosh - its a red construction cart with fluffy decoy popcorn in the bottom tray. Clearly I was hungry when I posted!

oh, gosh - its a red construction cart with fluffy decoy popcorn in the bottom tray. Clearly I was hungry when I posted!
Closer! But still no cigar. Actually it’s a 1/4 HP motor with a very used buffing wheel on the shaft. It IS however, a red construction cart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back