Which Stage Tool? - Poll

Which Stage Tool Do You Prefer?

• Altman Stage Wrench ($15 MSRP)

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Adjustable Wrench a.k.a. C-Wrench, Crescent Wrench ($15-35 MSRP)

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • Standard Stage Tool ($40 MSRP)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ultimate Focus Tool ($75 MSRP)

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Other- Please describe, link photo, $___ MSRP, and Why

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
I usually just carry a 6" adjustable c-wrench. I didn't know that there was such a thing as an ultimate focus tool. When I saw it my jaw dropped a little... I must have one.

I must say that this is one of the many reasons that I love control booth. I just learned about a new tool that will make my job easier. Whee! You can't see it, but I'm doing a happy victory time dance.

Thanks.

You know it's cool... but when you see the price you do one of these :shock:

Then you hold it in your hands and realize that it's something you could build yourself for less than $10 if you had the right machine in your garage.
It's a cool concept but I can't get over the price. Even the $40 model is too high. The convenience isn't worth paying 4 times of a really nice c-wrench.

Thanks, I would never have thought Snap-on. And yes, I am familar with their price structure.

I always have a 6" c-wrench, Lightspeed, and Ultimate Focus tool. may seem a bit overboard, but they're helpful in different situations. (and hey, they were graduation presents :grin: )

8" C-Wrench. Great tool, except when you set it down in the sun for a few minutes, then gloves become the greatest tool in the world...

I use a Mega Combo Wrench for everything that I can, and then I have one of those 8" C-wrenches with the thumb slide in the handle from Craftsman for everything else, since everything else is usually weird sizes.

I love the little $7 keychain light focusing tool, it fits the set screw, and both bolts on the C Clamp. It can be a little bulky to carry but it is worth it to be able to adjust a light anytime anywhere.

My preference is to use two wrenches, a small one (6inch) and a big one (8inch). The small one is for small bolts the big one is for big bolts this way i don't have to re adjust one wrench wrench all the time.

My preference is to use two wrenches, a small one (6inch) and a big one (8inch). The small one is for small bolts the big one is for big bolts this way i don't have to re adjust one wrench wrench all the time.

Not for nuthin' but I stay away from any tool made of aluminum - Ultimate, Mega Combo, Bash, Altman etc... mostly as over time the aluminum looses in the war against steel and the tool becomes useless. This has happened to any number of Altman and Bash wrenches I used in pre-S4 days and is the reason I will not plunk down $100 for an Ultimate.

Lightspeed and an 8" Crescent do it all for me. I use the 8" over a 6" mostly 'cause as I've gotten older and my hands have had a quarter century of hard use on the stage, I don't have as much hand strength while using a 6" crescent to loosen a bolt tightened by one of the young studs. Thus the 8" give me better leverage.

Steve B.

I use the Altman Stage Wrench for most of my shows. It gives me every single size hole I'll need to adjust. I don't like the adjustable wrenches, mainly because it takes a while to adjust over and over and over again. When I'm adjusting anfd tightening lights, I often change 4 or 5 different kinds of bolts, and going from one to another is a lot easier with the Altman.

I use the Altman Stage Wrench for most of my shows. It gives me every single size hole I'll need to adjust. I don't like the adjustable wrenches, mainly because it takes a while to adjust over and over and over again. When I'm adjusting anfd tightening lights, I often change 4 or 5 different kinds of bolts, and going from one to another is a lot easier with the Altman.

Have one, don't like it because there's no way to secure it to your body at heights without making it so you can't use of one of the holes.

Personal opinion.

I put in the top hole (the one at 12:00 if you hold it like a cross), which is the one I never use. I really only use the big hex, star, and the last three holes.

Does anybody sell a cheeseburough socket?I have made them but have never seen one for sale.

have you looked at using a ratcheting box wrench for cheeseburougs? The added bonus is you also have the open end wrench side for when the nut is mangled and a socket wont go on.

This isnt the right size, and you can get these at sears and other places but grainger was easy Ratcheting Box Wrench,12 Pt,7/16 In - Ratcheting Wrenches - Wrenches - Hand Tools : Grainger Industrial Supply

When I was asking about a cheesburough socket, it is for a wing nut type not a nut type. It is a socket the has a notch cut in it to slide over the wing instead of tearing up the wing or threads with a C wrench. I have used them but wasn't sure if they were homemade or commercially available. I have several speed wrenches for cheeseburoughs and C clamps.

When I was asking about a cheesburough socket, it is for a wing nut type not a nut type. It is a socket the has a notch cut in it to slide over the wing instead of tearing up the wing or threads with a C wrench. I have used them but wasn't sure if they were homemade or commercially available. I have several speed wrenches for cheeseburoughs and C clamps.

ah ok. thanks for the clarification. If you have access to a machinist, take an appropriately sized deep impact socket (not a regular one as they are hardened) and have him mill a slot in it.

Harbour Frieght sells a 6" adjustable c wrench with an extra-wide jaw - I think it goes all the way up to 1". a lot of the 6" wrenches won't open out that far. it's very cheap too - around 4 bucks - and I don't cry when it gets lost or stolen (happens a lot). it has an insulated handle and fits well in my hand and pocket, and the quality is surprising. after years of wrenching, I can pretty much adjust the jaw to whatever size I need just by glancing at it.

I did try a very heavy battery-powered motorized c wrench from home depot a few years ago - it sucked so bad I took it back straight away and got my money back.

I also carry, usually burried deep in my gig bag, a lightspeed wrench and one of those old Altman wrenches. The altman is good for wingnuts and cyc bolts but pretty clumsy for focusing lekos. sometimes the situation simply doesn't offer enough clearance to get to the right bolt.

in my humble opinion, it would be so sweet to have an adjustable wrench that:
-) had preset buttons on the handle that you could program
-) ran off of capacitors that charge via static electricity
-) no heavier than a standard wrench
-) 1" jaw opening
-) nice soft cushy grip for my old hands, although bicycle handlebar tape works just as well
-) a tight mechanism that would hold the jaw position - most cheap wrenches are so sloppy that one is always fiddling with it

peace,

Tim O

And the search for the ideal lighting wrench continues...
LightingWrenches.jpg

How many wrenches do you want to carry?

74228_497257846279_93315491279_7541337_4905729_n.jpg
More, courtesy of 4Wall/newlighting.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back