Which Stage Tool? - Poll

Which Stage Tool Do You Prefer?

• Altman Stage Wrench ($15 MSRP)

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Adjustable Wrench a.k.a. C-Wrench, Crescent Wrench ($15-35 MSRP)

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • Standard Stage Tool ($40 MSRP)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ultimate Focus Tool ($75 MSRP)

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Other- Please describe, link photo, $___ MSRP, and Why

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters
1st of all, I understand that I am resurrecting a pretty old thread, but there have been a couple new entries into the field since this thread was last used and I feel like this conversation is worth continuing. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how important ratcheting functionality is on a theatre wrench? Is aluminum really that prone to damage?

Ratcheting is one of those things that some people love and other people don't. Personally, I've never really gotten along with ratcheting. Ratcheting requires a certain amount of resistance from the fastener to work, so, you still have to re-seat the tool multiple times or finish loosening/start tightening by hand. Sometimes a fastener can be too tight to do by hand but too loose to do by ratchet. I've never seen it as a real time saver.

As for aluminum, yes it does wear over time, but so does any wrench. Aluminum is just softer so it wears faster, but it is noticeably lighter. Wear can be reduced if one makes sure to properly seat the tool on the fastener.

My TD came back from LDI with two UFT's. Ya know, they are pretty sweet, especially the continuity tester. The thing I miss most is a pin cleaner. While it's a tool I'll probably use a lot on hang/focus calls, nothing will ever replace my 6" wide-jaw c-wrench for every day use.

Out of all lighting wrenches I've tried, and I've at least tried almost all of em, the c-wrench is my favorite, followed by the Mega-Combo, followed by the Altman Wrench. We will see with time how the UFT fits in.

Last edited:
I still love my C wrench, but there are advantages to some of the other wrenches. I use a 5/8-3/4 speed wrench to put instruments with standard c clamps. It requires you to put your thumb behind it but I find it works very well. I like some of the other wrenches for working with cheesebourghs.

Being retired with a decent retirement pay, I do my theatre experience as a hobby. The price of the various focusing tools has not been a problem. As such I think that I have tried just about all of the options listed. Some of the younger guys that I work with are now the recipients of the tools that I didn't care for. My most recent purchase is the Ultimate focus tool. I love it, and use it for every hang, strike and focus. I have just one ***** about the tool, which isn't really a correctable issue. When using a PARNel with a megaclamp, if the instrument is pointed straight down, there isn't enough room to get the UFT into the Pan bolt. For that reason, I also have a 6" "C" wrinch in my back pocket.

Tom Johnson
Florida's Most Honored Community Theatre

I have just one ***** about the tool, which isn't really a correctable issue. When using a PARNel with a megaclamp, if the instrument is pointed straight down, there isn't enough room to get the UFT into the Pan bolt.[/url]

This is a problem with S4 Pars, ParNels, and S4 zooms - not enough clearance between the bottom of the yoke and the cap of the fixture with the yoke in alignment with the housing (I.E. pointed straight down is typical). Even my Lightspeed ratchet wrench won't fit. This is a problem ETC could someday correct (doubtful) and since my entire inventory is becoming S4's, it means I use a basic 8" adjustable a lot.

That said, I have owned assorted aluminum lighting focus tools over the years, with the Altman and Bash as typical. They do certain things well but as with all aluminum tools in constant contact with steel hardware, the aluminum wears out and the tool becomes useless over time. Which is why I never invested in the Ultimate tool, if only partly as the basic tool is $75, which is way too much and I don't care how well designed it is, as well as the fact that for that kind of investment, it won't last that long being made from aluminum, when you think that an Altman wrench costs $10.

My $.02

Most of the time I just use the 8" c-wrench I bought in college. It's served me well for 15 years (although its lanyard is getting a bit decorative). When doing a focus call I also have a 3/8" box end wrench that I use for the Jesus Bolt so as to avoid having to adjust the c-wrench quite so often.

Well, I liked using the UFT's at school so much I got one for my birthday. It really is a well thought out, INTUITIVE and thus useful tool.

I have really fallen in love with my Stage Junk flat focus tool (weird he still isn't advertising it on his website but you can order them just call him). For those of us just dealing with a bunch of conventional gear it's a sweet deal. It's so light and comfortable in my back pocket I forget it's there. I'm yet to find a task I need to put down the flat focus tool and find a C-wrench.

The only change I would make is move the lanyard ring hole to the other end. It's up next to the F-nut and C-clamp part of the tool and gets in the way there. I immediately removed the ring and put it through the center of the shackle busting end of the tool. I have yet to use that end of the tool so it's perfect. If you need to bust big shackles, road case handles or handles on instruments a lot then this may not be the right tool for you. But for those of us who just deal with the same conventional instruments all the time. It's a dream.
flat focus change.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone here use a Channel-Lock adjustable wrench like this?
proxy.php

I'm debating whether or not the grip is worth the extra overall size.

No, but I have used a similar model by Stanley.
proxy.php

It's a really nice wrench, I like the slimline head design, and the fat grip is really comfortable, but since I don't own one it hasn't seen battle like my 6" wide-jaw Crescent. (Who's grip is just about worn off and shall soon be replaced with....
proxy.php
)

Also I've been kinda put off from Channellock after last year their president sent out an email telling everyone to basically vote Republican or they were ruining the country. (Not so much even GOD vs Dem. more so I'd rather they stick to making pliers)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar C-wrench to the one you've linked, buried deep in an Apollo tradeshow toolbox, and I'm sure it works just great. I just have a difficult time getting used to the slide action of the mechanism. Again, I'm sure it works just great but my thumb continues scrolling for the conventional mechanism.

(I know, you don't have to say it. You can't teach an old dog a new trick. That really hurts, John, it really does.)

Well at least I didn't have to say it...

It did take a little getting used to, I have to admit, and others who borrow it complain as well; though usually just for the first fixture or two. But not having to adjust the wrench after every other fixture when haning an electric, or after sticking it in to a pocket and pulling it back out, makes it so worthwhile. I do have an Ultimate Focus Tool as well, but I just keep coming back to this instead for some reason.

6" & 8" Adjustable wrenches, either manufactured or modified w/ a grinder to allow the wrench to open up enough to fit a Chesseboro clamp nut.

Poll closed. Since the Ultimate Flat Focus Tool, introduced at LDI'10, appears to favorite of many, the poll is no longer valid. But we can keep this thread open for discussion.
I agree, I use mine all the time and for a ton of things it wasn't designed for. I still carry a 6" C wrench for adjusting my curtain tracks but for lighting I use the FFT for everything. I have even used the shackle buster a few times. I have been considering buying ten or so and sell them as I go to new houses. I know I could get rid of them easily.

I have been considering buying ten or so and sell them as I go to new houses. I know I could get rid of them easily.

And, somewhat like Johnny Appleseed, you would be providing for a future of better prepared technicians. Johnny's efforts provided a windfall for many years following his travels.

And you could make a buck or two for Girl Scout cookies next time the season rolls around...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back