Who knew fog juice was so close to disinfectant

Not me

I keep seeing these and the fogger versions, I do wonder how well they work. Especially the fogger versions as I can see that being an almost Godsend to theaters that already have foggers/Hazers so they don't have to worry about Smoke Detectors and such. If it can work after 5 minutes that's enough time to get it done between showings. Of course also wondering how effective it is on fabric based seats and other softgoods.

Doesn't look like it's fog juice -- just an off the shelf bathroom cleaner they're reselling.

Back in early March though, Look Solutions posted a somewhat brazen tweet suggesting their product would be good for treating COVID19, evidenced by a link to a journal article written in July 1950(!!!). Pretty ******** reckless if you ask me, at a time when theaters are desperately trying to stay open and looking for ways to reassure their audiences they will take good case of them, Look is trying to advertise their product as a treatment against transmission of COVID19.

1588713185452.png

When you can see the air, such as when it’s full of fog or haze, you are more inclined to worry about the things that are in it. Today, people are especially worried about the chance of Coronavirus in the air.

Performers and technicians may be inclined to believe that the fog is helping potential Coronavirus move from Point A to Point B, but actually the opposite is true!

“Under controlled laboratory conditions, triethylene glycol vapor has been found to exert a rapid lethal action against a wide variety of infectious airborne agents.” It’s been demonstrated against “influenza, meningopneumonitis, and psittacosis.” Although it has not been tested specifically on Covid-19, there’s no reason to think that this virus would react differently from the other viruses.

In conclusion, although Look Solutions fog and haze does not literally sanitize the air, it does help prevent the transmission of viruses through the air, so if you have to work in fog you should not worry about any increased exposure, and in fact your exposure will be less.

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.40.7.813

Source: https://looksolutionsusa.com/covid-19-doesnt-like-look-solutions-fog-haze/

Really risky suggesting your product is effective against COVID19 if you haven't done an ounce of testing to verify that. Much like hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer is great for plenty of things, but fundamentally is less effective against certain kinds of bacteria and viruses than soap and water. Requires real science and testing to ascertain what actually is or is not effective.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like it's fog juice -- just an off the shelf bathroom cleaner they're reselling.
Requires real science and testing to ascertain what actually is or is not effective.

Wow, just wow - this seems to me (also disclosing I'm NOT a trained medical professional) as the question of why we couldn't use the seasonal flu vaccine against the novel corona virus. In their own ad they ask "well if it works on [insert list of pathogens] why wouldn't it work on corona" - seems to me there would be any number of reasons it wouldn't work. But I think all of us fall more readily into the camp of "show me what works and I'll use it" rather than "hey, let's put 1000 people in a room and see what happens to them."

I got an email marketing blurb on this. Theatre Effects is now making disinfectant. I say kudos for repurposing and responding and kind of indicative of the resourcefulness of theatre people. h

They may be selling disinfectant, but making it??
"amazon.com" /Complete-RTU-Bowl-Bath-Disinfectant/dp/B0872HQ6HH
Thinking they're just being smart and keeping the cash flow rolling as best they can.

It's like the Trump thing on Hydroxychloroquine. "What do you have to lose?" Well, you could die from a heart arrhythmia or it could prove ultimately ineffective.

I don't know. It's casually interesting that fog juice might help prevent transmission of contagions, but advertising that as a feature without any empirical testing and linking to an article from 70 years ago at a time when people desperately, desperately want to find solutions that will work -- so much so that they'll drink fish bowl cleaner -- it's insane to be providing that kind of false hope and risking lives for the sake of trying to push some product.

It seems to me they are simply bottling and selling a proven disinfectant made by another company. There are obviously disinfectants which work and are probably sold by the barrle.

I have no idea about the fog people. Seemed unusual.

(Although I had never heard of them until I saw the story in the local news.)
You've never heard of Froggy's Fog? Perhaps because your shows have the budgets, and you have the wisdom, to only use the manufacturer's recommended fluid in your machines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back