Wholehog III and DMX Widgets

LightingPenguin

I feel like I might be insane

Does the WholehogIII console have DMX built in? I've been looking and it doesnt seem to say it does, which to me is remarkable. Why would you build a console only to have to buy a DMX widget to actually use it?

and speaking of DMX Widgets from Highend, whats the MSRP on those?

Nope, the hog III does not have built in DMX. It ships with a DP2000 which is a 4 universe Ethernet node. You can also add USB wigets, such as the superwiget if you so choose. This is something that is appearing more and more on consoles.

The reasoning is that the console does not process the DMX itself, it is all done outboard. All other incarnations of the Hog 3 have some sort of on board DMX device.

ETC's Eos is the same, no onboard DMX. Beyond the point on processing, it also allows you to make shorter runs of expensive DMX cable. It is a lot cheaper to run Cat5 from the console in the booth or FOH to a DMX node on stage or wherever. It is also cheaper and easier to manage and route a TCP/IP network and only break out to DMX where needed.

But then how does the DP2000 get to the physical light?

Finally one last question:

How do you program Hog3PC to output directly to the DMX widget?

Oh i lied, one more question:

And it positively ships with the DP2000?

Last edited:
As far as the full Hog3 console, I could be wrong but I don't believe it ships with the DP2000 or any DMX proccessor. I believe you have to buy that as a seperate piece as there are diffrent output options to choose from.

As far as the Hog3PC, when you plug the USB DMX widget in you will see it in the patch screen as a universe of DMX to patch your fixtures too.

If you looking for a Hog3 console with built in DMX then you could get the road hog or road hog full boar. The road hog has 4 built in universes of dmx but you cannot expand that, the full boar has the same but is expandable. It all depends on the size of shows your doing.

Hope this helps.

If you're getting something new and want something Hog III with built in DMX output and expandability, get a Road Hog Full Boar.

As people have said, the Hog 3 does not output DMX directly. The Hog 3 allows either a DP2000 node (4 DMX outputs) or a DP8000 node (8 "Physical" outputs or 16 Artnet Universes).

Roadhog has 4 discrete DMX outputs and, as has been stated, cannot expand past that.

Roadhog Full Boar has 4 discrete DMX outputs and 8 Artnet Universes. The Fullboar can also expand by adding DP2000's or DP8000's as needed.

Hog3PC can use single universe DMX widgets, 4-universe Super Widgets, DP2000's or DP8000's.

Hope that helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back