• minor, just hurt

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • never burned myslef

Votes: 3 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

soundop

Whos burned them sleves on a light, and how bad

It seems I get more scrapes, etc., in the shop than on site.

I had to change a par lamp from an vnsp to a medium, no one had told me it was on for 5 hours prior to me ariving. The lamp fell about 20' to the deck ... but it surrvived and worked affter :)

JH

Re: Correct me if i'm wrong

but burning yourself on a light is a pre-rec for any sort of tech work.

I disagree with that, cutting your finger off isnt a requirement to use a table saw. If you really want to get a burn (most lights its pretty hard to actually burn yourself enless you really grab onto something) grab a gobo after its been in for about 10 seconds.

I've got a real nice scar on my left shoulder, I was sighting in on a super trouper, leaned too close to the thing and put my bare shoulder right on the 1"x3" window that is used for keeping an eye on the carbons. It was Outdoor Summer theatre I was way up in the light loft, sleevless shirt. Yow ! Oddly I have a sudden desire for bacon ......

I disagree with that, cutting your finger off isnt a requirement to use a table saw. If you really want to get a burn (most lights its pretty hard to actually burn yourself enless you really grab onto something) grab a gobo after its been in for about 10 seconds.
I have done that many times, just because the light is off doesn't mean the gobo is cool....

One never learns hot is hot. Even just today I was tinning some wire and flicking it so as to remove the extra solder. Yep, right on my hand this molten 850 degree solder now flicked off a 16ga wire. This much less also today hot... hot.. my removing food from the microwave that was hot and even grabbing a plate of steel grinded fresh to the shape desired. Nope, never going to learn.

Also warn welding gloves where even worse hot gets really hot after time of waming up and all a question of to what extent hot is hot and in it becoming hotter what than is really hot and necessary to remove the gloves and jump around a bit in cooling oneself down or at least doing the dance in doing so.

Still until hot is on fire it's not hot enough just a burn. Than of course was once grinding away or plasma cutting some stuff and wearing a face shield. Could not figure out where all the smoke was coming from in making it hard to see from under the face shield. "out out fire..." I had caught my shirt on fire, never knew this or felt it but yep, what a fire my belly was on.

All i've ever done wtih the lights was get a cut about 1 cm from my eye. I was trying to move this light a few degrees up, but it was really really stiff, so i took it down and put it on my lap, and leaned over and pulled. whack.
oh that and of course forgetting that when a light is off it isnt always cold - but ive found rigging/gardnening gloves are good for that.

andy

if i'd had a dime for everytime that i have came close, then i would have about 50 cents. One thing that i always do is unplug the light to change a bulb. i have never had to change to a different bulb, but replacing the ones that don't work. adjusting lights is when i almost get burned.

I've burned my forearm last summer on a Strand SL coolbeam that was on for half a day. Had a mark for about two months.

but its called a coolbeam apparently its the exact opposite, ya i have a scar up my arm from getting burned by a electric that came in with out warning well my hand was over the railing for the fly rail (double purch.)

Only minor burns here, though i did get my arm bad once and has the mark for a few weeks. I mostly get scrapes and scratches, or brusises. My hands look so bad when im hanging a show.

my first time working on a focus...we were using our super old (read: "ghetto") lekos and i touched the back end of one after it had been on for a few minutes to reposition it a bit and it burned my palm though my double layered cow-hide leather gloves! i had a mark for a few weeks, but no blistering thank god...

I've burned myself multible times on lights but none too badly, just enough to hurt. I did fall victim to the gobo one time when there was a gobo that had been on for about 30 seconds so I figured it wasn't too hot. It hurt alot when it happeed and gave me a nice little leaf breakup brand on my finger. For some reason it stopped hurting soon after I burnt it, I've had other burns that hurt for days. Somehow I've never burned my clothing on a light.

hehe...everyshow something happens... Just that fringe of the moment, change the lamp, realign that fixture the actor bumbed, something or another while your head is spinning with tasks and those voices in your head...

used to burn myself a lot more than I do know, I guess you learn with experience how long you have to wait until certain things cool off, still, everyone does it. Last week I was working with some old 1KLs and ended up ripping one of the shutters out that had been in the light for a good 30 minutes on full. Somehow the shutter ended up blade down in my plam...I got a nice perfectly straight BRIGHT red burn, killed for days, didn't heal up for a month...I will NOT do that again

At our school, it's not officially a production unless you've done physical harm to yourself. We've had people get cut on gels, tables drop on feet...once our lighting designer even fell out of his chair in the booth. Suffice to say, we get burnt on lights all the time. Gloves or no gloves.

Burns hurt more it seems when you arrive at a focus call and have not been told the lights have been at full for the past 6 hours due to wet paint on the stage. Why they were drying the stage with overheads i'll never know.

I do agree with SocksOnly that it isn't a production unless you've physically hurt yourself! (or blow lamp! :p)

I've got a triangular burn on my arm from the first time I ever focused a light. My friend, the lighting designer, decided not to tell me the glorious wonders of wearing GLOVES. It's a good memory when I look back though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back