Who's exhibiting or running a session at USITT 2020?

Just heard Staging Concepts is pulling out.
I heard Prod Adv. is too don't know if I heard that right though.

Just got an email from USITT Board of Directors,

Latest update. Sounds like they're considering their options.

Welp, we'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow! Cross your fingers🤞 and hope for the best!

and I know it's not USITT but they announced that the NCAA March Madness games will be played without fans... That's a lot of Brothers and Sisters out of work.

Just got an email from USITT Board of Directors,

Welp, we'll just wait and see what happens tomorrow! Cross your fingers🤞 and hope for the best!
Welp?? Huh???
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I'm not criticizing anyone but this is the kind of catalyst event that can change things. Many companies wonder about the value of conferences in face of the substantial cost. I see architectural lighting companies forgoing the exhibit at conferences and throwing a big party at much lower cost. If those canceling exhibiting at USITT see minimal effect on business, and invest on other options for personal contact and demos, it could begin a sea change.

I'm not criticizing anyone but this is the kind of catalyst event that can change things. Many companies wonder about the value of conferences in face of the substantial cost. I see architectural lighting companies forgoing the exhibit at conferences and throwing a big party at much lower cost. If those canceling exhibiting at USITT see minimal effect on business, and invest on other options for personal contact and demos, it could begin a sea change.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I've found a ton of value in the annual conferences, I get a ton of business done on the show floor, and the face time with other people is important.

As far as business goes, as Production Advantage, we exhibited at SETC and got a ton of business out of that show. It was very profitable for us. I think there's a lot of value in these shows. I really like the NAMM model for their education. The idea of full conference tickets needs to go away, one ticket gets access to all the lectures and classes, pre-registration needed for the hands-on classes. If we want to help the industry, I think this is a great way to make sure that everyone can learn how to do things the right way. Sure, there may be a sea change, but that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing, I think we need to look at what conferences offer and increase their value.

It was just canceled.

Wednesday, March 11, 2020 — Moments ago, the USITT Board of Directors voted unanimously to cancel the 60th Annual Conference & Stage Expo scheduled for April 1-4 in Houston.

We will update conference attendees and exhibitors tomorrow (March 12) with details.

We appreciate your patience in this unprecedented time.

Dan Culhane
President

Lea Asbell-Swanger
Vice President for Conferences

David Grindle
Executive Director

Last edited by a moderator:
"Do you want large events banned? Because this is how you get large events banned."

Rudy Gobert sitting out an NBA game because he's sick.
Cut to earlier in the week...Rudy Gobert wipes his hands up and down the press mic's and touches reporters to joke about the overreaction to the coronavirus.
Game is about to start.
Team doctor sprints out onto the court and talks to the coaches and refs. Rudy has the Corona.
The NBA season is cancelled.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
After the mayor of Houston cancelled the Houston Rodeo, it was writting on the wall for USITT. If the board didn't cancel it, the mayor probably would have....

Surprised none of these conferences are looking at digital alternatives. More difficult for the exhibit floor side of things but you could replicate most of the sessions with videoconferencing if they really wanted to.

Surprised none of these conferences are looking at digital alternatives. More difficult for the exhibit floor side of things but you could replicate most of the sessions with videoconferencing if they really wanted to.

Actually, we just got word that USITT is looking at broadcasting/streaming sessions that were scheduled for the show. While I don't have any concrete details yet, this is what they sent to exhibitors today:

Sponsorship and Advertising Funds
USITT is making arrangements to have a portion of our 2020 Conference material presented virtually online in the coming weeks and months. With this will come sponsorship and advertising opportunities and additional ways to engage with the USITT membership.

It takes almost the full year from the time the show ends to the time the next show starts to put together the enormous number of sessions that USITT hosts during the conference. This will be a monumental undertaking to move these online. I will be reaching out to USITT soon to see how ControlBooth can help with this endeavor, but right now, you know as much as we do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back