Why pipes and not unistruts?

I think using pipe vs a strut system is more of an open architecture vs a proprietary one. 2" steel pipe is everywhere along with hanging hardware. Custom configurations are easy.

I recall working with channel type hanging systems in the 70's, probably the electro controls setup...although Strand came to mind first (but then the Strand name was on most of the lighting eq back then). I recall having trouble getting the square piece that went into the channel in properly seated. There were rails n grooves that had to align or the light wasn't secure and could easily fall off. I've always preferred the pipe/clamp setup. It's also easier for new tech's to learn and to understand how to hang lights.

When you are on top of an A frame, trying to hang a fixture, I would much rather slip a c-clamp over a pipe and tighten down the screw than try to balance the fixture as I try to thread a screw through a hole and into a "hopefully" spring held nut that may or may not be solidly clicked into it's channel. There are low-ceiling locations where uni-strut makes sense, but not my choice at any distance up.

AMEN! I agree 100% with this from JD!

I got to thinking, "Why are lights always hung from round pipes and not unistrut?"

It seems like that would be ideal - easy and inexpensive to mount and move and the lights can be closer to ceiling.

If you've ever hung lights while standing on top of a 20' A ladder with the pipe at eye level the difference would be clear.

A fixture with a pipe clamp can be immediately supported by the pipe as soon as you lift it up. This makes it a breeze to tighten the clamp. Otherwise you must fumble to hold the fixture in place while getting the bolt through the yoke hole and starting to thread it into the unistrut nut. (the alternative is to have the nut on the bolt beforehand and struggle to get the nut into the channel and twisted 90 degrees so it will take the weight of the fixture)

The company that made the combination channel and electrical raceway (trade name Channel Mount) was Ariel Davis/Electro-Controls (which is now the architectual unit of Century/Strand). Getting a fixture hung on channel mount was much easier than with unistrut - you loosely screwed the nut through the yoke onto the bolt before lifting it up. The lips of the nut are asymmetrical so you can hook the longer lip onto the track immediately to support the weight and stabilize the fixture, then lift just a little and slide the nut over to engage the other side of the channel so it is completely supported.

I've got about 20 of these Channel Mount nuts if anyone needs one.

the channel mount that is refered to was originaly made by Electro Controls
when Strand Lighting purchased Electro Controls in the 80's the product was manufatured in the Strand factory in Ontario Canada
the channel mount is still manufactured today by Arkadium in Guelph Ontario.
it is an extruded aluminum . the channel slot has no rating, so you can not use it to hang fixtures
the channel slot is there as part of the hanger

I'm sure the lack of a load rating for the Channel Mount has its origins in tougher safety ratings now required by OSHA. Looking at the cross sectional design of the extrusion it is obvious that a heavy load can deform the integral sidewall. Since the opposite sidewall with the receptacles is merely attached with a few sheet metal screws, it isn't able to be load bearing. A great idea when Ariel Davis came up with it for hanging a few fixtures in small theaters in schools & churches in Utah & the Mountain West, but not tough enough for today's fully loaded stages with hundreds of fixtures.

Back in the 1960's it was very common to use the upper track for mounting the Channel Mount to ceilings, etc. and the lower track for mounting fixtures. There are many older facilities that still use this system.

HUB Electric out of Chicago did the uni-strut-raceway thing too, Although they went belly up in the 70's. The University I used to work at had them as electrics and dead hung in the coves. They were the biggest pain in the amp ever- for the reasons listed above. Also, everything had to be yoke down at a 90, and none of the bolts fit standard focus tools.

So, I actually do find Unistrut to be quite useful for permanent or semi-permanent installs, where you probably won't be rehanging things often or ever. These https://www.thelightsource.com/products/uni-bolt-for-strut-channels-82 Make hanging on strut much easier.
That being said, in a proper theater, a pipe is the way to go, but even now I prefer an actual double baton that is made for theater and not something from the plumbing store.
Unistrut DOES have load ratings, and it is actually quite strong. There are many sizes, and it is even used in fall arrest systems for arenas.

In the old days, for theater and entertainment, we were adapting industrial products to our budding industry, but now there are actually products designed specifically for our needs. Use them. They really are better than the old crap.

I've heard comments for years on strut that focus on the typical channel nuts being hard to deal with and they are all true.
Ever hear of a channel bolt?

proxy.php

I've heard comments for years on strut that focus on the typical channel nuts being hard to deal with and they are all true.
Ever hear of a channel bolt?

proxy.php

Whaaaaaaat. How have I never stumbled across these in my Mcmaster sessions?

Whaaaaaaat. How have I never stumbled across these in my Mcmaster sessions?
@gafftapegreenia It's been common practice amongst construction and installation electricians for decades (and probably plumbers, fitters and HVAC installers too) to employ all-thread rod and lock-nuts to devise exactly such convenient strut bolts, often up to five or six feet long and even longer with back to back female couplers, sometimes with two rods tightened into them and sometimes with a lock-nut added for good measure.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@gafftapegreenia It's been common practice amongst construction and installation electricians for decades (and probably plumbers, fitters and HVAC installers too) to employ all-thread rod and lock-nuts to devise exactly such convenient strut bolts, often up to five or six feet long and even longer with back to back female couplers, sometimes with two rods tightened into them and sometimes with a lock-nut added for good measure.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Yeah, used THOUSANDS of these..... ... ... Even dropped one in a separator tank (the kind that uses precisely controlled air bubbles to seperate sewage) during install and testing. OOPS... What shutdown and reset takes HOW MANY DAYS after something like a screw gets dropped in? ... MY BAD!

we have a bunch of those too, still dont really like them lol

Not surprised: there are multiple tricks that can make them more pleasant. Mount them with a washer and nut, then the fixture. Mount them that way every 6-18" down the track and never have to move them. Spend months or years working exclusively with strut so you are simply used to it! Try anything other than pipe or strut!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back