Wide Stress Skin Platforms

Ech725

Has anyone ever built stress skin platforms wider than 4'? Say a 5' x 5' or larger.

Did you simply run the splice plate parallel with the grain and offset the splice for the top skin and bottom skin so that the seam doesn't fall in the same place for the whole platform?

I was checking out the PDS Supplement no 3 on stressed skin panels and noticed the examples were all 4' wide. The only time it mentions over 4' wide is in near the calculations sections and that the tables would have to be readjusted for panels wider that 4'.

This doesn't really apply to your question, but baltic birch plywood can be found in 5X5 sheets. It is frequently used in building road cases. Finding a local source is another matter.

I don't recall if i have worked on wider than 4' stressed skin panels or not but I think figure 3.6.1 in the apa document you just posted a link to indicates how. There is no splice plate between the edges parallel to the framing and grain. It's the same way SIPs used in building construction are joined - via a spline at the edges.

I have successfully spliced skins on Triscuits. Use as wide as a scab as possible or dbl the framing beneath the seam. glue it ten ways from Sunday. screw per perimeter specs or 6"OC Min.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back