Wiggling Drum Riser

cbrandt

I recently acquired a drum riser. It uses steel box tube to hold up the decks, and large (8"ish) casters to roll around. Because the casters are so large, even when I lock all four wheels, there is significant wiggle and wobble on the riser. Any suggestions for quick and easy ways to keep it from doing so? Sandbags only seem to help a little bit.

Pictures would be helpful to see what’s going on.

If the swivel of casters doesn't lock, finding a way to defeat that might help. Just orienting the casters in different directions when locked may help some. Or, make some type of box-like "leg" units that you can use to get the wagon up off its casters when in place.

It is a pretty simple platform. The decks use standard tie-downs to attach to the rail. I've tried a 2" ratchet strap, and that does a pretty good job, but it is clunk to use during set changes.

Drum Riser 2.jpg
Drum Riser 1.jpg

Are the thrust bearings on the swivel part of the casters loose or worn? Maybe it's just a result of the angle of the picture, but the closest wheel in the second picture sure looks to me as though it's cocked to the side somewhat, as though it's loose there. It also looks as though the casters are welded directly to the frame, rather than being bolted onto a bracket or backer plate that's attached to the frame, so changing them would be a bit more work than merely unbolting the old and bolting in new ones.

Needless to say, if the swivel joints are wobbly, you'll have a mighty hard time keeping the whole contraption from being wobbly.

I think that's just distortion in the picture. Yes, they're welded directly to the frame. I have no idea why they didn't put in a backer plate. The bearings all feel pretty good. The wobble comes from the wide throw that those casters have in their swiveling.

Nice stage right decks! Those are rock solid decks.

So the movement is coming from the ability of the casters to swivel even when they are locked? I like aeh20s idea of jack legs so you're not on the casters when playnig.

That is definitely a solid idea. I don't love spending more money on them, but it would surely make using them a heck of a lot easier.

We only use stageright decks. They've never....let me down!

I know how you check a drum riser for level!
Watch for drool coming out both sides of the drummers mouth!

Thank you! I'll be here all week!

What can a pizza do that a drummer can't?
Feed a family of four.

How can you tell there's a drummer on your porch? The knocking gets slower and slower.

How can you tell there's a bodhran player on your porch? The knocking gets faster and faster.

You rid your self of either by paying for the pizza.

What's the definition of "Perfect Pitch"?
Throwning a banjo down a mineshaft and bouncing it off every accordion on its way down.

Perhaps Spinäl Tap reminds us it's best to not have a drummer.

• John "Stumpy" Pepys (1964–1966) Died in a bizarre gardening accident that the authorities said was "best left unsolved."
  • Eric "Stumpy Joe" Childs (1966–1967). Choked on vomit of unknown origin, perhaps but not necessarily his own, because "you can't really dust for vomit."
  • Peter "James" Bond (1967–1977) Spontaneously combusted on stage during a jazz-blues or blues-jazz festival on the Isle of Lucy, leaving behind what has been described alternately as a "globule" or a "stain"
  • Mick Shrimpton (1977–1982) Exploded onstage.

Dancers and drummers make a great couple. Drummers count 1234 dancers count 5678
@Crisp image As a local one stage hand told me while we were casually bantering between spot cues:
"We take in a lot young ones from Radio City: Brothers often get involved with dancers, occasionally you get a kid with her brains and his looks; what you going to do. we've just GOT to take him in. "
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back