wind and microphones for outdoor theater

TCP

We are putting on a show in an outdoor theater location this summer. I am being told that the mics we have are getting too much wind noise. Yes, we are using the windscreens. Is there a type of microphone designed for use outdoors that minimizes wind noise?

Roll your high pass to about 150-200. You will have to ride it a bit but it will help.

We do an outdoor series under our building. Due to the design of the building, 100' of wind gets funneled into a 10' vertical creating a wind tunnel. I pretty much spend the whole show ridding my high passes as the wind comes and goes. With just voice you can easily get away with it at 200hz. On a female voice you can go even higher. Play with it a bit and see what happens.

Omnidirectional mics are always less susceptible to wind noise than directional types (cardioid, etc.). I would choose head-worn mics with an omni capsule. Use the optional windscreen for them as well. As Kyle says, use your high pass filter.

Last edited:
I have 30 actors running around with DPA 4061's all summer, wind noises happen but they aren't too terrible when they do. Good placement helps a ton too -- no booms, if they are on the ear they are as close to under the ear as possible. The rest are all head mounted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back