"Window" Flats Backdrop

Tech Ninja

Let me start by saying that I am not looking to create a standard window flat. This is something very different, but I'm not sure what to call it. We have started construction for The Little Mermaid and during some of the castle scenes we have chosen to do a "window" backdrop. The best example I can find is in this video. Here's the big difference from our Set Designer, the windows need to be translucent of some sort and will be backlit with various colors (similar to the way we would normally use the cyc). The question we are struggling with right now is what material to use to cover the window holes so that it can be backlit, but can be lightweight and OF COURSE not break the budget.

Other notes to consider:
We do not have a fly system (nor will we ever), so these will be built as castered flats that will move in and out.
We have not decided on an official size for the pieces, but they will likely be 8-12' high and cover an area ~20' wide.
Thanks in advance!

Look into building a giant Shoji screen. You could cover the back with Butcher paper, vellum, or something like , my favorite, tricot/spandex.

I would suggest fabric as well, if you can get away with adding mullions to the windows, you might be able to go with a 'standard width' fabric if not, rose brand has lots of options that are at least 10' wide. I've used a Voile before, not too expensive, 10' wide is $6/yd

https://www.rosebrand.com/product1212/118-Voile-IFR.aspx?cid=555&idx=1&tid=1&info=IFR+Fabrics

Rose Brand's Description:
Our lightweight IFR translucent sheer comes in the most requested colors, along with White, Oyster and Black. Comes half-folded and rolled.
White is also known as 1/4 stop silk in the film and video industries.

A poor soul, down & dirty approach , depending on the size of windows , you could look at scaffold netting to cover the openings. You may find a benevolent company willing to donate pieces large enough to work with. Another option may be "screen door" material.

Search on CB for translucent and such, you'll find lots of threads. And you'll see me suggest Coroplast over and over and over. Here's one we just did:

20190120 Gloria 2.jpg

Search on CB for translucent and such, you'll find lots of threads. And you'll see me suggest Coroplast over and over and over. Here's one we just did:

View attachment 17459

Nick, where do you get your coroplast from? I have looked at using this to make several standard "light boxes" to reuse over shows, but I'm not sure where to find it near me. Btw, that wall looks awesome and is the exact type of effect I am looking for.

Nick, Doesn't colorplast have the lines through it? or am I thinking of the wrong plastic product?
Van, I believe you're correct, but I've seen ways where people "rip" it through the support lines, along its face, usually to create a bend effect, but it would also help eliminate the lines. I imagine if your light design is good enough you probably dont see much of it anyways.

As I've done a little more research on it, has anyone ever used "interfacing" fabric? [Purchase Link]
Seems like it could be a low-budget option, but I'm not sure if the durability would be worth the savings.
proxy.php

@Tech Ninja , as far as coroplast, check out local farm supply, big box building centers (Home Depot lists it), greenhouse supply stores (frequently used for greenhouse covering), and local sign companies. Then it's just a matter of who has the best price.

Nick, Doesn't colorplast have the lines through it? or am I thinking of the wrong plastic product?
It does. But they disappear from around 10' away.

We get it from Laird Plastics or Piedmont Plastics. Places that sell acrylic, foam core, etc etc. The best for translucency is 4mm "natural". We pay something under $15 / 4x8 sheet. It's used primarily in the sign indusrty, I think. Actually, that logo behind me in my tragic profile photo in on Coroplast.

Our "The Magnificent Module" corporate rental set uses it: http://www.youwantwhatproductions.com/the-magnificent-module/

I often see old 4x3 ratio projection screens for sale fairly cheaply, since most people are moving to HD. Many of these old 4:3 screens work for rear projection well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back