window issue

kla

I have a dillema which I hope someone can help me with. I need to create an open window effect on the back wall, together with a starry sky and have an actor standing in front of this windw. Do you think this can be acheived using a gobo or is it not a good idea and I should rather think of having an actual 'real' window as part of scenery?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Kl.

It really depends on what kind of look you're going for. A real window will look more realistic if that's what you're going for, or if not then a window gobo will work as well. I personally like to use window gobos coming in at awkward angles to intentionally distory the shape of the window when the setting doesn't have to be super realistic and during dramatic scenes. For super realistic, you would probably want an entire wall with a window in the wall, and then have a drop upstage of that which you light for your starry sky. Or, for a combination of the two, just flying in a window without the wall in front of a drop can also be effective. It really depends on what the show calls for and your budget.

Thanks for your advice, Michael.
There is no need for the window to be realistic but it is there throughout the play and there are actors coming up to it, with one standing there all the time. That's why I am a bit unsure about the gobo. Do you think it will be okay if rigged high enough?
I am considering a fly-in window as well and a gobo for the stars. The budget is small but having a window made wouldn't be a problem.

Still tempted by the gobo, though. I think it would create a better effect.

Again, it's very hard to know without knowing the show, how the director is interpreting the show, what your personal design ideas are, the specs of the theatre, and lots of other things. In the end it has to be your decision, as either choice can work. Having said that, since the window will be on stage for the entire show, and since there will be someone in front of it, it might be advisable to use a real window rather than using a gobo. Unless you shoot the gobo from straight in, the image will start to get distorted, and once you start talking about steeper angles it may even become unrecognizable. But as I said, it's completely up to you and your director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back