Windows recording software with "Stop on Silence" ?

jack63ss

Does anyone know of an audio recording package for Windows that has a "Stop on Silence" feature ? I have a bunch of reel-to-reel tapes I would like to digitize to use with our audio system. I really don't want to have to babysit the recording if I don't have to. Something like stop recording after 5 minutes of silence is what I am looking for.
I looked a bunch of them, including Audacity and Wavepad, but can't find what I want.
Thanks
Jack

(Funny: I did find an entry from 2007 talking about adding that specific feature to Audacity. And today it has start recording on sound, but not stop on silence.)

That would still require him to switch over the reels though. I think he wants the ability to start a reel and walk away for however long letting the reel run out and have the program shut itself off so it doesn't just record for hours if he doesn't get back to it. I can't think of anything off the top of my head but if you have an idea on the length of the reel you might be able to find some ways to set something to record for an hour lets say, if you know the reel is about 50 minutes.

A work around if you don't find something could be an external recording device that you could limit the storage on. I have a Tascam DR-40 recorder, and if it were me, I'd probably just record right into that and limit it by grabbing a few 1gb SD cards (or smaller). You'd still get some silence but it would stop recording when you hit the card limit. May be a good use for some old cards if you have access to a similar device?

I'm pretty sure Audacity has begin recording at (designated DB Level.) I don't know if it has an auto off when under (designated DB Level)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back