Control/Dimming Wire for 0-10v analogue system

Traitor800

So I'm helping out at a middle school. Last year I got them some old TTI analogue dimmers and a LMI 5 scene preset board also analogue. Its just been living in SR and now they want to move it to the FOH. SO what I'm wondering is what kind of wire is used for the old 0-10v analogue systems that uses the Cinch Jones connectors. We tried the local theatrical supplier and they weren't much help. Were going to need 6 runs at approximately 150'. So is it possible to even get this cable still or is there something that I can substitute. And there are no visible markings on the current cable. Thanks.
-Chris

You can use any old cable you like, the cheapest may be phone cable or multiple cat5 runs or absolutely any cable you can buy cheap.Every cable made is good for 10v @1 or 2 ma

Thank you both for the information, I think I'm going to give the cat5 a try just because of the cost and availability.
-Chris

Most cat5 bulk cable is solid wire, not stranded, so they are not good for direct connection to a board which may move. I would terminate the cat5 with rj45 wallboxes on each end and make patch cables out of cat5 patchcord (stranded) to the board and dimmers. That way, if you upgrade the system, you can reuse the cables for ethernet or dmx.

I like to just buy bulk 25 conductor cable thats used to build parallel cables out of. Also for permanent installs centronics cable for telephones were great. You could get that in 25 and 50 conductor. They also made 100 conductor, what a pita that was to punch down and keep the color code in order.

First, you really want stranded cable as it will hold up better than solid.

Second, the Proflex cable I suggested is far more robust than Cat 5

Third, you only need 7 conductors so I'm at a loss as to why you might want a 25, 50 or 100 conductor cable.

Fourth, The Proflex cable isn't all that expensive, it runs around $ .38 a foot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back