Wire safe?

Emaline

Hi,
I have a par 64 (I think- still learning to names of everything) woth really old wires. No exposed wire, yeat, but it looks like only a matter of time. Is this safe to use?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 1611255001964-1609092077.jpg
    1611255001964-1609092077.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 291
If it is a PAR 64, it looks like it's a PAR 64 ACL light. And that wire looks like it's been burnt. I wouldn't use it without re-wiring it. Someone smarter than me will probably be able to give you more help, but that's what I see.

Hi,
I have a par 64 (I think- still learning to names of everything) woth really old wires. No exposed wire, yeat, but it looks like only a matter of time. Is this safe to use?
Thanks!
Hard to tell from that picture, but the wire looks burned. It might be the jacket is just old and melted or it might have smoldered. I've seen and used worse. They're simple to replace, but the bigger issue is going to be finding the PAR lamps. They're being phased out of use. 35 bucks to replace the porcelain and leads.

As to the question if it is safe to use as-is: no, it is not safe to use without replacing the crunchy wires.

In addition to the wires (or socket+wire ass'y) be sure to be careful with the strain relief on the fixture and replace if it's worn or broken, but definately use it, don't omit it from the repair. There's nothing but spring pressure holding the connections between PAR lamp and porcelain and you don't want that getting yanked loose by the pigtail during hang or focus.

If it is a PAR 64, it looks like it's a PAR 64 ACL light. And that wire looks like it's been burnt. I wouldn't use it without re-wiring it. Someone smarter than me will probably be able to give you more help, but that's what I see.
Nah, if it was an ACL it would have a metal reflector and be wired in series with....4 other fixtures? 28 volts each for ACL's and 32v for Train lights. If I remember correctly.

Anyway, rewire it, if you have the knowledge, or have someone do it for you. it's pretty darn easy.

Nah, if it was an ACL it would have a metal reflector and be wired in series with....4 other fixtures? 28 volts each for ACL's and 32v for Train lights. If I remember correctly.

Anyway, rewire it, if you have the knowledge, or have someone do it for you. it's pretty darn easy.

I was basing that on the fact that I couldn't see any porcelain and I thought I saw screw terminals on the lamp.

I was basing that on the fact that I couldn't see any porcelain and I thought I saw screw terminals on the lamp.
I get it. Do you remember which it was ACL 28 or 32v? Then there were ray beams. Those were weird voltage too... Been too long.

"Ray Lights", invented by Doug Ray, lightman for "The Hooters" used a metal reflector with a socket adapter in it. You would use a conventional projection lamp like a DYS and drop it in a PAR64 or PAR56 can depending on the reflector size. He came up with the idea in the early 80's but it has been copied a thousand times and some of those copies are pretty junky. His original produced a tight beam, like an ACL, but the projection lamp was 115/120 so you could run them off a regular dimmer. Those lamps are still very available. The down-side is that most of them have a fairly short life. Good for specials, but not a wash that would see lots of hours.

"Ray Lights", invented by Doug Ray, lightman for "The Hooters" used a metal reflector with a socket adapter in it. You would use a conventional projection lamp like a DYS and drop it in a PAR64 or PAR56 can depending on the reflector size. He came up with the idea in the early 80's but it has been copied a thousand times and some of those copies are pretty junky. His original produced a tight beam, like an ACL, but the projection lamp was 115/120 so you could run them off a regular dimmer. Those lamps are still very available. The down-side is that most of them have a fairly short life. Good for specials, but not a wash that would see lots of hours.
@JD Likely very sensitive to mechanical vibration, especially when lit. Destined for an extremely brief life when
(8 EZK's [120 Volt MR16's] if I'm remembering correctly were ) routinely spec'd and installed as foot lights on the automated touring decks of: "Buddy Holly The Musical" in the early through mid' 1990's.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

#4596 lamps in series were very popular once. Also the individual lamps with a transformer was done +20 years ago since the last time I serviced for use such a thing.

Wiring looks cracked in photo, fixture looks rusted in need of work so what's the question? Are #4596 lamps discontinued? Don't know, but before the Pandemic, such lamps were still very much in use.

No, I wouldn't use the fixture as is' given what's in the photo. Nor would I plug it into 120v power.

Last time I was at Lowes I saw wire that looked like it was the same gauge of the stage pin cable that I use with the stage lighting system I have. Is it possible that Lowes would have the right gauge wire for me to make my own cables. Making my own cables is something I am scared to do as I am very afraid of what will happen if I wire them wrong or backwards. I do not want to catch anything on fire or make anything explode. I know that I can order stage pin ends easily.

Take care and stay safe and healthy everyone with the COVID going on.

Last time I was at Lowes I saw wire that looked like it was the same gauge of the stage pin cable that I use with the stage lighting system I have. Is it possible that Lowes would have the right gauge wire for me to make my own cables. Making my own cables is something I am scared to do as I am very afraid of what will happen if I wire them wrong or backwards. I do not want to catch anything on fire or make anything explode. I know that I can order stage pin ends easily.

Take care and stay safe and healthy everyone with the COVID going on.

Electrical Code has a fair bit to say about which cables, wires, wiring devices and wiring methods are used on stage, in the audience areas, etc.

Chapter 5: Special Occupancies
Section 520: Theaters, Audience Areas of Motion Picture and Television Studios, Performance Areas, and Similar Locations
Section 525: Carnivals, Circuses, Fairs, and Similar Events

Note that entertainment work outdoors (festivals and concerts) fall under 525. Also note that any requirements or exemptions in "special occupancies" sections are based on the contents of Chapters 1-4. Final note - the "national" electrical code is a "model code" created by the National Fire Protection Association and presented for adoption by state, country, and local jurisdictions, all of which are free to adopt in whole or part and who may modify the model language at will. IOW, The Code may not be the same everywhere. Disclosure: The NFPA, like Underwriter's Laboratory, is a creation of the insurance industry, which has a direct interest in reducing the loss of life and property.

Jim, the Secret of Wiring - learn the correct colors/pins/terminals FIRST, then practice with wire scraps and old wiring devices (plugs, outlets, etc). Electrical failures are either "wired wrong" or "wired right, but poorly done"... and then test each and every assembly you build. Better yet, have someone else audit your work by testing some of it, too. Eventually you'll get the experience to have confidence in your work.

Code-speak hint: Codes mention "hard service" and "junior hard service" in portable device supply cables. When you're at the biggy boxy store next time take a look at the stuff printed or embossed on the cable jacket. You'll see nomenclature like this: "14/3 SJO". That means the wires are #14 AWG, that there are 3 such conductors, and the cable construction is type "S" "J"unior, "O"il resistant jacket. In some uses, Code will not permit "Junior" hard service cables so you'd need to find the appropriate cable without the "J", such as 14/3 SO. (examples)

Last edited:
Hi thanks for this. I am not planning on doing any wiring as I have no theater to do that in at this point. My lighting Dimmer Rack and board and lights are now in a storage unit due to the COVID and closure and sale of the theater building that my theater group used to operate out of. But this is good information to know for the future. Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back