Wireless Audio Transmitter

LPdan

Hello,
I have a client that is looking to send audio to two outbuildings on a farm. Distance from main sound system is 150-200' with clear line of site.
They would like to avoid burying cable due to extensive tractor and horse traffic.
Wondering if anyone can recommend a wireless solution that could transmit to two receivers for driving powered speakers in the out buildings? This is primarily for announcements so premium sound quality is not a concern.
TIA!

What do they use for communication now? If they use a variety of flavors of Radio communication there is likely a bridge and or an audio output that could take a channel into an active PA. Like using the Stage Announce out of a comm system.

What do they use for communication now? If they use a variety of flavors of Radio communication there is likely a bridge and or an audio output that could take a channel into an active PA. Like using the Stage Announce out of a comm system.
They don't have anything now. Will be adding a simply PA in the main building for announcements and music.

Do they have wireless (or wired) internet connectivity between the buildings? If so, some sort of an audio streaming system might serve the need reasonably well using the existing infrastructure. Something like a mumble server and client(s) could probably be adapted to work without too much effort (among other things).

Thinking way out of the box, the above suggestions that use an existing network might play well with powerline adapters to carry IP over the mains wiring, which is presumably already in place. It depends whether the outbuildings are powered by their own pole transformers, or spurred off from the main farm power.

Do they have wireless (or wired) internet connectivity between the buildings? If so, some sort of an audio streaming system might serve the need reasonably well using the existing infrastructure. Something like a mumble server and client(s) could probably be adapted to work without too much effort (among other things).
Second the suggestion for mumble. Raspberry pi/mumble will handle this low cost low power consumption for both ends, and can use different USB sound dongles on the far end that you can even feed to an amp for the loudspeakers. Fidelity is extremely good. I have a pi running as a mumble server 24/7 at our theatre.. seldom needs a re boot.

Just looking at all the suggestions, I appreciate them all!
The Alto stealth is along the lines of what I was originally thinking. I don't believe there is WiFi, but could be added. No phone wires connecting buildings, but cool idea for future projects!
The Stealth seems the most plug and play, think I'll pursue that first. Thanks again!

I'd go with Audio Technica ATW-3211 wireless with one Unipak and two receivers. You can remote the receivers antenna to the outside of the buildings for line of sight.

In the picture below, I'm standing by the front door of the Unitarian's church, in the distance is Mt. Vernon Baptist church. I did both installs about 15 or more years apart. On the first Sunday at the Unitarian's church the Baptists were picking up the sermon. Can you say 1000'+
10nfc74.jpg

I'd go with Audio Technica ATW-3211 wireless with one Unipak and two receivers. You can remote the receivers antenna to the outside of the buildings for line of sight.

In the picture below, I'm standing by the front door of the Unitarian's church, in the distance is Mt. Vernon Baptist church. I did both installs about 15 or more years apart. On the first Sunday at the Unitarian's church the Baptists were picking up the sermon. Can you say 1000'+

Why deal with a system that is designed to run only on batteries, has an oddball connector and needs a pad to accept line level? I don't understand the logic when there's a purpose built device available for less money, and it comes with two receivers.

We use these two for situations as you've described with Shure paddle antennas.

Works well for us for temporary use, but I'm sure if installed properly it would be all set.

- Nick

rewind! Also consider - Ubiquiti or Engenius point2point or point2multipoint wireless bridges (not costly), and IP paging gear such as from Atlas IED or CyberData. Audio goes into a SIP encoder at the head end, flows across the wireless WAN, and is decoded and played back thru either a linked POE speaker or the audio gear of your choice in the outbuildings. Off the shelf, proven, warrantied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back