Wireless batteries

avkid

Not a New User
Fight Leukemia
What kind of batteries do you use in wireless mics and why?

I have recently been looking at the possibility of using lithium(one time use) batteries in our wireless mics. Do you feel Lithium batteries are worth the price, why or why not?

I put new batteries in before each show/rehearsal, so I don't think the extra life is really neccesary.

I use Duracell ProCells because they're excellent batteries and you know for sure if they've been used or not (9v cap). I also like the ProCells because you can order them in bulk and they're accepted everywhere as the industry standard. In fact, they're pretty much the industry standard for any professional industry. Heck even my mom uses them at the hospital, it's the only battery they use. It's a waste of money to buy batteries through retail. The caps on the 9volts are really helpful for when you're dealing with a new crew and you want to keep track of battery usage (no more mixing up fresh batteries). Who wants meter hundreds of batteries just because someone didn't do their job? They seem to hold charge more consistently battery to battery then standard grade batteries. In fact, I never have to order no batteries for regular school and outside events. There are always batteries left over with plenty of charge from our shows. So, they get quite a bit of re-use. But we don't have a huge overstock of used batteries, there is a nice balance between what's coming in fresh and what's going out dead. We always have a little bit more coming in then what's coming out, but sometimes we need to use a large quantity of batteries for lavs and multiple speakers for informal events

For every formal theater production w/lavs, I order the quantity needed multiplied by every performance and formal dress rehersal. Then I'll get an additional amount for regular rehersals where redundency isn't so critical. If a battery goes out, the lav tech can just swap batteries when an actor isn't on. Or sometimes, if it's not uncalled for, the tech can just change right on stage in the middle of a rehersal. The point of running wireless during those rehersals is to see if the design is being executed properly, getting a feel for the cues/mixing the show, and seeing what isn't working out. So it's not the end of the world if you reuse a battery and a lav goes out once and while, all you have to do is just change the battery.

I use procell. Never have had a problam with them. I have used other types like safeways ones but procell has lated the longest.

Soundguybs said:
I have used other types like safeways ones

Here is an interesting little tidbit, the majority of store brand batteries are made by the battery companies with the biggest market share.(not naming names)

Ya, we never have money to buy batteries so we usualy end up passing a hat arround amung the techs and whoever is involved with the show and sending someone to the corner store to buy whatever is cheap. (this is after we have scoured the schoool looking for some!)

Unlike the others, I have had bad experiences with ProCell, and know a lot of other fulltimers who have, as well. Their quality control went down the tubes when Gillette bought Duracell, and that's when the problems started.

They used to be industry standard, but in recent years Energizer Industrials have eclipsed them as the standard. When I spec out a rental package, I specifically note that I want Energizer Industrials, and exclude Procells as not being an acceptable substitute.

While I've had bad out of the box batteries with both brands, I've had measurably more bad ProCells than EIs.

--Andy

P.S.-Please, please, please use the forum search feature before you ask questions that there's a good chance somebody's asked before! This EXACT discussion took place within the last month or two, and you'll get quicker answers, not to mention save a lot of repetition, if you search for the old discussions before reposting the same question :eek:)

I second just about everything Andy said. I don't do the rental package thing because I've never rented anything myself (used rented stuff but never done paperwork). Other than that though I second him entirely.

We order energizer batteries in bulk through Medic Drug.

I know... I know... you order batteries in bulk through a drug store? Believe it or not, it is the best price I have found.

How much should I expect to pay per 9V battery for either Energizer Industrials or ProCells? I'm curious to compare that to how much we pay for Coppertop's at Costco.

mbenonis said:
How much should I expect to pay per 9V battery for either Energizer Industrials or ProCells? I'm curious to compare that to how much we pay for Coppertop's at Costco.

Last year I bought 288 9-V batteries and 144 AA batteries from Medic and paid $275.00. What stunned me is that near the end of the season I had to buy more 9-V to finish out my season. Those 72 cost almost $80.00, so their prices unexpectedly went up. I have found that bulk prices vary.

Andy_Leviss said:
P.S.-Please, please, please use the forum search feature before you ask questions that there's a good chance somebody's asked before! This EXACT discussion took place within the last month or two, and you'll get quicker answers, not to mention save a lot of repetition, if you search for the old discussions before reposting the same question :eek:)

I am also an advocate for searching not to post duplicates,the second part of my post pertaining to the cost effectiveness of lithium batteries was the thing I most wanted answered.

I personally, would not use the lithium battery. Since most batteries don't have too long of a life-time, in charge, I would stick with a standard Duracell battery. Sure, it may mean having to remember to change the battery at every rehearsal, but i would rather have the knowledge of fresh batteries, rather than testing my luck with batteries that have already been used.

Lithium batteries only have a few more hours of charge than that of a regular battery, so, it would be more worth while to get a jumbo pack of the regular batteries, rather than spend a butt load of money on only a few lithiums.

Your performers, and wallet will both thank you if you choose standard over lithium.

Any bulk store, like Sam's Club, Costco, or BJ's will have your best deals on standard Duracell batteries. Many now have the Duracell Procells for the same price and they're cheap compared to anywhere else. We always have a set for each mic in the following formula:

1/2(Tech Week Rehearsel)+1(Show)+1 per mic of course.

Hi guys,

I was working an outdoor dance festival for my college (my first event as a freshman) and the PA system provider was a rather well-known sound-co in CT. The last Phish tour had a McCauley system from them and the tech was talking about loading in a V-Dosc system for the Rolling Stones. Their tech said that they had just changed over from Pro-Cells to Energizer Industrials for eactly the same reasons that Andy Leviss cited. That seems to be a good enough reason for me to change, even though the Pro-cells have been great for me thus far.

Just an affirmation of what has already been said.

All the best,
Anand

AVKid after re-reading this topic I came a realization. Most of the time batterys get changed in wireless mics before they die. If that is the case you'll probably change the lithiums before you even tap into the extra power they have. After thinking about that the only time I could find lithium batterys worthwhile is when you have a performance that lasts over the lifetime of standard batterys, and withing the lifetime of the lithium batterys.

During that whole post I kept typing batteries, then changing it to batterys. I hope that was correct, if it was not I apologize. Spelling, and grammer, and mechanics aren't my strong points, but I at least want to be literate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back