Wireless Wireless Headphone Monitoring Solution

AlexDavila

Hey ya'll. I'm working in a house with 28 channels of Shure ULX-D wireless on a Dante network. The ULXD4Q receivers do not have built-in headphone amps for monitoring individual channels like other receivers I've worked with. This functionality is a big part of my workflow when I'm mic'ing people and troubleshooting during performances. Does anyone know of any products that could allow me to quickly route a single channel to a set of headphones that's not overly cost-prohibitive or complicated for use on the fly? Is there a Dante solution that doesn't require a separate controller to repatch the channel? Is there an analog product out there designed for this that I haven't considered?
I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

You could just solo the mic in your console and connect your headphones to the console.

Another option if you travel with a laptop is to pickup a Studio Technologies 5202 Dante interface. You can connect a pair of headphones to that and select in Dante Controller which you want to listen to. I carry one of the 5202's on me all the time for troubleshooting and stress testing Dante systems.

But again — this is really what the solo feature of your console is intended for.

Masque sound does have a device that does this rather perfectly. Its a panel that you put in your rack that has an analog split and allows you to cue up every input via a button for each channel. Most of the broadway style racks have this kind of setup in them. Beyond that, your next best bet in my book would be to throw an X32 rack in w/ a dante card. That will allow you to grab all the dante inputs and cue up stuff that way right on the front of the rack. I've also seen cases where an analog split is put in line and a traditional monitor desk is setup just for the A2 to cue mics. Lots of options here. None of them really inexpensive. Granted, you own 40k in mics, 2 grand to make them sound good isn't that terrible.

@themuzicman is really the person who can give you more exacting details. This is one of those products that until you have used it you don't know what you are missing. My usual rental house used to be the go to house for Troika... they have several of these units racked up. I'm sure now that we are more digital there is something out there that works better. Only issue I remember with the Masque unit is there was only one pre-amp so you had to deal with that.

I'm sure now that we are more digital there is something out there that works better. Only issue I remember with the Masque unit is there was only one pre-amp so you had to deal with that.

The big broadway rental shops aren't using too many wireless that have direct Dante compatibility so it's not an issue that comes up. The first time I used Dante enabled wireless, I took the digital outs into the console and the analog outs hit a Listening Station. The last time I have used digital wireless it was Sennheiser 9000 Series and you can now do direct Dante monitoring in WSM. Check out Wavetool -- it seems like a nifty little application. Next time I get Dante enabled wireless on a show I'm going to try it out.

An analog solution is probably your best bet -- take Dante into the console and analog into a listening station. The Masque listening stations have 24/36/48 buttons, and a single headphone output and volume knob. You punch in the channel you want to listen to and it pops out the headphones. The fancier models have remotes you can run around a room. However, most models don't have any loop thru -- though in your application it probably wouldn't matter. Traditionally you take the outputs of the receivers and they go to XLR into the front of a rack mount mult panel that has two splits. One split goes to FOH and the other split goes to the Listening Station. This way, you can keep your spare lines high up in the listening station and when you do a re-patch, you swap patch at the mult panel from where the spare lives into where the actor who's mic you are swapping wants to live so that patch stays consistent for the mixer.

In a pinch I have used the Toa MP-1216. Some shops rent them when trying to furnish Broadway type RF rigs, but they are NOT fun to wire up or use. Also check out the section on monitoring on Audinate's Website -- there are also ways to turn several other devices on their main "Dante device" page into listening stations.

I like the idea of an X32 rack. or even an X32 Producer with a Dante card and a laptop running Dante Controller for patching. There are a number of inexpensive, two-channel Dante I/O devices that could drive a headphone amp, but then you would have to use Dante Controller for selecting what you are listening to. I think that would be a bit unwieldy compared to the X32 idea because it is too easy to make an errant mouse click that causes problems. Using Dante Controller for swapping bad receivers for good to the house console would be fine. Opt for a good sized screen or bifocals.

I like the idea of an X32 rack. or even an X32 Producer with a Dante card and a laptop running Dante Controller for patching.

The only thing that kills me with the X32 rack idea is the user interface end of things. It makes a pretty inexpensive 32 channel Dante interface, and compared to legitimate listening stations, is super affordable. Just throwing ideas out -- I wonder if the Solo bus on the X32 could be controlled by OSC so you could make a handy remote on an iPad to switch Solo to headphones. http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=OSC_Remote_Protocol

The only thing that kills me with the X32 rack idea is the user interface end of things. It makes a pretty inexpensive 32 channel Dante interface, and compared to legitimate listening stations, is super affordable. Just throwing ideas out -- I wonder if the Solo bus on the X32 could be controlled by OSC so you could make a handy remote on an iPad to switch Solo to headphones. http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=OSC_Remote_Protocol

From what I've seen, pretty much anything can be controlled by OSC. No need to write code, though. Control apps for a variety of platforms already exist. If a custom designed app for this use is desired, it would certainly be possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back