Wireless Microphone Purchases

TechiGoz

Hi Guys,

I am currently looking at buying a series of both Lapel and Handheld wireless mics for the school. During the primary productions that they like to do, I usually just hire in, but the decision to buy some permanently has arisen. The committee has already agreed and now it is up to me to do some research.

I was originally thinking about Shure with perhaps some sort of compressor for some of them. Then we have the Mipro, Sennhiser, Audio-Technica stuff. So if anyone with some experience or comments could give me their opinions on the experiences they have had with Wireless stuff or any brands they think are reasonable, that'd be great.

Cheers
Dan

Dan, I'm pretty sure that there is already a thread with all of this in it. Perhaps see if you can find it. I do recall that there was a lengthy discusssion on the pros and cons of a variety of different products, and reviving it might save everyone from reposting their opinions.
Cheers.

Personally, I would suggest Shure or Lectrosonics, if you can afford it. If you're looking at Shure, I would suggest the ULX Professional series - I've personally had bad luck with the SLX series. Pretty much anything Lectrosonics makes is top-notch, so you can't go wrong there. Remember to factor in the cost of quality antennas and an antenna distribution system with your purchase, as well as an extra transmitter and and extra element or two. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Mike

I agree with mbenonis.

the shure UlX series is good, The SLX series are okay on a budget.

I have no experience with any other companies.

Thanks. I have heard that the ULX Series is better than the SLX, so thank you for your conformation.

I haven't had much exposure to Lectrosonics, but i'll look into it. The distance from control to back of stage is only about 30 metres, do you think it would be a necessary idea to get an extra transmitter or two? I reckon it would for back up purposes, but how about antenna distribution?

Cheers

Sennheiser 100 G2 series. An amazing number of frequencies. The only thing is that the Sennheiser mics have proprietary connectors.

If the sennheisers would just us a TAF-4 connector, we'd all be OK. Because then WL-93's would interface with Sennheiser packs, and high schools wouldn't have to pay out of their tiny back doors to get replacement 122 capsules for their sennheiser packs. Besides that, the cables on the 122 G2 mics break easily, we had one go recently.

In general, Shure WL93 capsules are the best capsules for the money, but Sennheiser TX/RX gear is better in the lower price ranges (except the Freeport series, don't get 'em).

It's worth pointing out that while Shure units typically work on a group/channel system, you can enter a manual mode and select any frequency at 25 kHz steps across the entire bandwidth of the unit. This provides a comparable number of channels to Sennheiser and A-T systems.

The reason for purchasing an extra transmitter is solely for backup. When an actor drops it on stage, it falls in the toilet, or it just decides to stop working, it's always good to have an extra you can hand to the actor.

Antenna distribution depends on how many units you plan to buy, and it used mainly to reduce interference from having multiple units with antennas on them in the same vicinity and to clean up your rack. However, use of antenna distribution also requires careful planning of your frequencies because it contains nonlinear circuit elements. I posted some tips on frequency coordination in another thread that you might find useful.

Go for a high-quality unit from Shure.

I have been in many situations with other wireless mic companies (particularly AKG) where the equipment is badly built and wears very quickly especially range wise.

At school we have 8 UT systems, they're OK, we've had some trouble recently though.

Let us know what you decide on.

Just thought I'd ask a similar question to the one originally posted. Our school is also looking to purchase some new wireless mics but we are on a very strict budget. I have looked at MIPRO mics and have also used them before - they worked well when we hired them at look like the best combination of price and quality. Has anyone used MIPRO before - would like to hear good/bad stories about them. I liked them but wouldn't want to go charging in there without hearing about other experiences

I have never had trouble with the Mipro gear.

A friend has a battery-operated portable Mipro sound system with two built-in wireless receivers and it's a great system with power for outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back