Wireless Mics Approved Freqs

Robert F Jarvis

We recently experienced severe interference with a couple of our Shure QLX-D wireless handhelds and receivers ib our little theatre. A while back we had to change all our Mics and receivers on our main stage to ones on a new band due to the FCC auctioning off the band they were using. Question: what is the band(s) we should now be using for all our wireless mics?

For unlicensed use we still have the 500mHz band (up to around 608mHz, IIRC). For holders of Part 74 licenses there are some other slivers of spectrum available. Shure has brought back VHF high band RF, too.

If your existing units transmit on a frequency above 608mHz, you could potentially use spectrum licensed to Verizon, T Mobile, ATT, American Tower, or a number of other cellular entities. Receiving interference should be the least of your worries; receiving a carrier lawyer's NastyGramme® or equivalent from the FCC is far worse.

Edit ps for a search hint: the "white space devices" we were warned about 10 years ago are finally coming on line, too. Because of their mostly 'ad hoc' use, they will be difficult to pre-scan, and they have priority of service over unlicensed wireless microphones and IEM systems.

We recently experienced severe interference with a couple of our Shure QLX-D wireless handhelds and receivers ib our little theatre. A while back we had to change all our Mics and receivers on our main stage to ones on a new band due to the FCC auctioning off the band they were using. Question: what is the band(s) we should now be using for all our wireless mics?
Go here:

Enter your info and it will give you open frequencies in your area for your mics.

It seems mic tech is pushing towards digital signals which can fit more channels into a smaller bandwidth than the existing analog counterparts. Sennheiser has a decent lineup of quality budget RF mics in their EW-D and EW-DX lineup. I'm pretty sure Shure (ha) also has such a product, but I haven't researched it a whole lot since everywhere I've worked has just used Sennheiser.

In my many years of running a bunch of wireless mics have been met with severe bouts of random interference, I often look at antenna placement and alignment.
We often face antennas along the plane of the earth and there are definitely more things inline with the direction of the antennas if you look past the backwall of the building.

I once was working with an audio guy who usually did conventions at Moscone center in SF where the halls are underground. In this event we were on the 4th floor of the Intercontinental. He couldn't understand why he had so much trouble finding open frequencies.
The solution was to use the stock rubber duck antennas instead of the powered directional antennas because it reduced the reception range, eliminating every other hotel, theatre, and restaurant that was within the few blocks of perfect sightline out the window.

@Robert F Jarvis have you used Sure's Wireless workbench software to analyze your location and calculate the best frequencies to use? It's gotten really crowded out there.

Also consider inline band pass filters on antenna distribution to block 5G and it’s intermod products. RF Venue will advise you well on this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back