Wireless Mic's

Re: wireless mics

tm1000 said:
Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
... The Sennheiser MKII gold is the industry standard...
Great Element, however I have also come to liking the DPA 4060, great sounding audio and a small element for about 400 dollars list each, we have 6 of those, plus 12 MKII (non-gold) for about 300 list. The one you mention (Gold) is 375 list.

I have been picking up the countryman B-6 for 300. My problem with the MKII(non-gold) has been sweat outs in just one act

Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
tm1000 said:
Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
... The Sennheiser MKII gold is the industry standard...
Great Element, however I have also come to liking the DPA 4060, great sounding audio and a small element for about 400 dollars list each, we have 6 of those, plus 12 MKII (non-gold) for about 300 list. The one you mention (Gold) is 375 list.

I have been picking up the countryman B-6 for 300. My problem with the MKII(non-gold) has been sweat outs in just one act

We bought some Countryman last year and for some odd reason they sounded terrible, we couldn't figure out what it was, but we just decided it was because of our sound board, so when we bought the MKIIs it was great sounding audio, I think we have only had one sweatout.[/quote]

tm1000 said:
[

We bought some Countryman last year and for some odd reason they sounded terrible, we couldn't figure out what it was, but we just decided it was because of our sound board, so when we bought the MKIIs it was great sounding audio, I think we have only had one sweatout.
[/quote]
Did you get the B-6 or the B-3.

I tried the B-3 once and hated it. But I have never had a problem with the B-6 and I've gone through about forty of them. Right out of the package they consistently sounded the same and I can usually get about 192 performances from a capsule beofre it goes down the dumps.
Whereas the sound guy I replaced had just restocked with MKII's. Throughout the course of a 12 week run, 8 performances a week. I usually had three sweat outs a night.

Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
tm1000 said:
We bought some Countryman last year and for some odd reason they sounded terrible, we couldn't figure out what it was, but we just decided it was because of our sound board, so when we bought the MKIIs it was great sounding audio, I think we have only had one sweatout.
Did you get the B-6 or the B-3.

I tried the B-3 once and hated it. But I have never had a problem with the B-6 and I've gone through about forty of them. Right out of the package they consistently sounded the same and I can usually get about 192 performances from a capsule beofre it goes down the dumps.
Whereas the sound guy I replaced had just restocked with MKII's. Throughout the course of a 12 week run, 8 performances a week. I usually had three sweat outs a night.

Yeah I think it was the B-3

Just wondering what luck you guys had with Sennheiser stuff? To be completly honest I have not used it, I always use Shure equiptment. When I am doing things on my own, I use Shure just because they are about 2 miles down the road from my house. Sennheiser I have herd a lot of good things about from people who do proessional theater sound installs. I am thinking about getting a few channels of sennheiser for a building I am working on.

Sennheiser Equipment.

delnor said:
Just wondering what luck you guys had with Sennheiser stuff? To be completly honest I have not used it, I always use Shure equiptment. When I am doing things on my own, I use Shure just because they are about 2 miles down the road from my house. Sennheiser I have herd a lot of good things about from people who do proessional theater sound installs. I am thinking about getting a few channels of sennheiser for a building I am working on.

I think my biggest problem with the Sennheiser gear, is that my sales rep keeps trying to update my older gear. But I have to keep telling him that there is nothing wrong with it. If I could justify the expense, I would love to pick up another 12 channels or so. I am a huge fan of Sennheiser and I probably will stick with them for wireless in the future.

delnor said:

Great luck with them, they all still work after doing two major productions (but it hasn't been a year yet with them) I'll have to keep you updated on this sweat-out issue I'm hearing about from members on this board. It hasn't happened to me yet.

To tell you the truth, I have never had a problem with sweat out. I usually have a fairly large crew that checks the mics during intermissions replaces batteries and cleans them. We have never put them in bags or anything. The only time when I did that was when I have had a speaker on stage for long periods of time. One man shows tend to sweat a lot more.

wireless mics

The condoms only protect the transmitter. The actual sweat out occurs at the capsule. I have heard of people scotch-guarding a small piece of nylon and covering the capsule that way, to protect it. But in my theatre we don't have the luxury of much distance between the audience and the actors. I have most of my problems with sweating actors during dance scenes. It doesn't really matter how long they're on stage, it is the action that is taking place. And I too wonder why on earth you would change batteries at intermission. I usually train the run crew basic mic maintenance and load them up with a spare capsule and fresh battery, but I couldn't justify changing a battery at intermission unless I had a faulty battery. With the Sennheiser systems a Copper top lasts me at least 4 and a half hours. Which is good for one show. I have squeezed two shows out of one battery,but right after curtain call it was dead.
Is that a difference with the shure systems?

Jo-JotheSoundDog said:
The condoms only protect the transmitter. The actual sweat out occurs at the capsule. I have heard of people scotch-guarding a small piece of nylon and covering the capsule that way, to protect it. But in my theatre we don't have the luxury of much distance between the audience and the actors. I have most of my problems with sweating actors during dance scenes. It doesn't really matter how long they're on stage, it is the action that is taking place. And I too wonder why on earth you would change batteries at intermission. I usually train the run crew basic mic maintenance and load them up with a spare capsule and fresh battery, but I couldn't justify changing a battery at intermission unless I had a faulty battery. With the Sennheiser systems a Copper top lasts me at least 4 and a half hours. Which is good for one show. I have squeezed two shows out of one battery,but right after curtain call it was dead.
Is that a difference with the shure systems?

Ever heard of Pro-Cell Batteries? They last me 8 hours.

Thats what I use is pro-cell, and basicly what it comes down to is that we have the budget to change batteries a lot so we do. I don't wait for them to get low. They arn't wasted we take the slightly drained ones and use them for radios and other battery opperated devices used for the shows. I don't change all the batteries for every mic, just the ones that are used a lot and get drained quickly.

procell batterys

Heard of them yes.
Used them yes.
Had a weird little problem with them years ago, tell you the truth I can't remember exactly what it was. But when I use a battery in a mic, it is brand new, period. I don't want to play the how many hours has that battery been on for game. I can get the copper top for cheaper and I have only had a couple little problems with them. I think that over the years I have used close to 20,000 batteries most have been copper tops and only about 10 little problems I can remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back