Wireless Router for Yamaha LS9

Primo109

I am mixing on a Yamaha LS9-32 in a few weeks and I want to set up the wireless network so I can use StageMix. While I know how to set up the network and how the app works, I do not know what kind of router to get. My director doesn't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to get a bad router. Any suggestions to meet both of our concerns?

I use an old Linksys WTR54G router. It works... It's seen a lot of miles and likes to be restarted every week but it works fine. Pretty much anything will work for simple iPad usage. Some of the routers discussed in the thread mentioned above are for much higher level networking gear when dealing with Audio and Lighting Networks where the system has to work everytime, all the time. If you are looking for just some laptop or iPad control any quality consumer model will do you.

Seconded what Nick said; we are a typical school-owned PAC with community programming on the side. We bought a Netgear Rangemax 150 router last spring to contol Stagemix during sound checks and the like. It works fine for that purpose (will occasionally drop and re-connect). That being said, I wouldn't rely on it for show-critical applications. Follow the general advice and don't connect it to the Internet or another network. Ours is strictly for Stagemix and iRFR with our Ion for lighting.

I prefer to use static IP addresses, and to hide the SSID.
Hiding the SSID may prevent attempts to join the network from users casually scanning for a network. It provides no really security though - every packet sent has the SSID in plaintext; hiding SSID just means that the access point wont respond to requests for network discovery that don't specify its SSID. Also, choosing a to hide the SSID for a network means that all devices that connect to that network send a request looking for that SSID everywhere they go - in some cases causing more of a security concern than broadcasting the SSID would.

Where wireless security is needed it should be at least WPA (preferably WPA2 with TKIP disabled).

Hiding SSID isn't necessarily for security but it would keep a couple hundred phones in the audience from trying to connect.

Hiding SSID isn't necessarily for security but it would keep a couple hundred phones in the audience from trying to connect.
If you have enabled security, then the phones won't attempt to connect (but they each phone might ask the user if they want to join the network - if the user chooses yes and enters a password the phone would then try to connect). Perhaps the SSID should be "PhoneOFF".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back