Wiring a source four

Mauser

I was trying to get one of our source fours working today, and after going through and checking everything that could be wrong, discovered that the wiring had come loose from the socket.

How do you reattach the wires to the socket, can you solder it in, or can you use pressure from the pins to hold it in, or is it some other way to do it I'm not thinking of?

I'm not sure if this falls into the portion in the terms of use about not offering electrical advice, but I thought I should ask anyway.

By socket I assume you mean the ceramic lamp base that holds the HPL in the lamp cap?

If the wires are pulled out of that then you need an entire new lamp base.

I am about 99% sure that the wires are supposed to be permanently attached to the socket, meaning you will need to replace the entire part to fix your problem.

Yes, I do mean the lamp base, thanks for the quick reply. To replace that would I just have to replace the lamp base, or would I have to replace the whole end cap?

And where would be a good place to get the replacement parts, would a local shop carry it or would it be better to order it online?

Just the [-]base[/-] socket, and only around $10-20 for the part. You will get the base and the leads. I have had good luck with Production Advantage for online stuff, but if your local shop has it go to them first.

Last edited:
All you need is the ceramic base, it's a pretty simple fix. Call your Supplier and as for the Osram TP-22H replacement socket kit for the Source 4.

I am about 99% sure that the wires are supposed to be permanently attached to the socket, meaning you will need to replace the entire part to fix your problem.

Sounds like the op has a problem with a Bender and Wirth socket because one of the contact wires came off of the socket. In this case he definitely needs to get a new socket (TP-22H). Also just for a little more information on the problem socket, what color are the contact leads on this particular unit (are they black silicon/SF2 leads?)

Actually both of the contact wires came out of the socket, not just one, and yes the two wires are black, don't know enough about types of wire to be more specific.

That would be the faulty Bender and Wirth #969 socket that ETC provided with fixtures for a short time between 2005 and 2006. At this point you have 2 choices, call ETC and they will send you a free replacement or the faster choice is to just buy some sockets (TP22H) and just keep them handy in case another fixture does this to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back