Control/Dimming Wiring Lights to ETC D20 Dimmer Questions

Thoms

Hello all,

I plan to wire some general house lights to D20 dimmers for my upcoming show, I know how to wire it no problem the one question I have is, is there a maximum number of bulbs I could put on on channel of a D20 dimmer, what is the max if I say was putting
120v 50watt bulbs in parallel? On the other side, if I were to just put one 120V 50W bulb on a dimmer channel would I overpower it and blow it?

Also just to run my plan by some people to make sure my idea is safe, I plan to wire these bulbs in parallel, and I will use a porcelain base that I will mount into a piece of 2x4, I will also be using little 1gang boxes on the back to cover wiring just to be safe.

I am just not sure about that first part, any help or info on this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I have to agree with sk8rsdad. In addition boxes on 2 x 4's does not give me good feelings and kind of wondering if all hard wiring is in conduit and up to code for assembly occupancies. If it's not work that would pass inspection, please don't do it.

Many things on the 1st post seemingly indicate you are unfortunately a novice at this with no idea of the code and safe practise requirements to hook this stuff up safely, Porcelain lamp base on 2x4 as example.

Thus I would recommend you hire or get somebody who knows how to do this safely, to volunteer.

Many things on the 1st post seemingly indicate you are unfortunately a novice at this with no idea of the code and safe practise requirements to hook this stuff up safely, Porcelain lamp base on 2x4 as example.

Thus I would recommend you hire or get somebody who knows how to do this safely, to volunteer.
I have to agree with sk8rsdad. In addition boxes on 2 x 4's does not give me good feelings and kind of wondering if all hard wiring is in conduit and up to code for assembly occupancies. If it's not work that would pass inspection, please don't do it.

And this is why I come here! Will do thank you!

No one is picking on you or trying to inhibit your creativity or industriousness or show any disrespect, and not even saying we haven't done even more foolish things (and luckily I never injured anyone i know of other than myself). Just trying to share and allow you to learn from our experiences, both good and bad.

No one is picking on you or trying to inhibit your creativity or industriousness or show any disrespect, and not even saying we haven't done even more foolish things (and luckily I never injured anyone i know of other than myself). Just trying to share and allow you to learn from our experiences, both good and bad.
To amplify Bill's (and everyone else's) excellent advice: It is NOT NECESSARY for you to repeat OUR mistakes.... ;) 😁

First of all, let me say that I agree with the comments advising you not to do this without knowledgeable help. That said, there are some questions in your post that should be addressed

Hello all,
, is there a maximum number of bulbs I could put on on channel of a D20 dimmer, what is the max if I say was putting
120v 50watt bulbs in parallel? On the other side, if I were to just put one 120V 50W bulb on a dimmer channel would I overpower it and blow it?

Assuming we are talking about incandescent lights at 120 volts here.
modern dimmers control the intensity of incandescent fixtures by varying the voltage to the fixture. you can put as few or as many lamps on a dimmer as you want as long as the total wattage of all the lamps is less than the capacity of the dimmer.

if you have very low wattage lamp(s) you might have to put a higher wattage lamp in the circuit to get it to dim all the way out. ( a ghost load )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back