Witch Melting in Oz: plans? sketches?

Doug Lowthian

I know a common trick for the melting witch scene in Oz is to have her walk down into a trapdoor leaving her cape and hat behind.

Does anyone have a sketch, plan or clear image on how you built this set piece? I understand the concept and can probably conjure up something but if the wheel is already invented...well you know.

Thanks in advance

I'd like to hear ideas as well, we're gearing up to do this show next Spring. What I've been thinking is to build up a floor over our trap (since normally it's a plug and wouldn't be easy to remove during that scene) and fashion some sort of sliding door. Instead of falling, I'm considering building a platform up to the trap so the witch can carefully step down into the trap room. Having the false floor will also allow us to plumb some PVC to route fog around the opening to obscure what's really going on. I think with good choreography and a lot of rehearsing we can make it pretty convincing and most importantly safe.

Im more of a fan of water, smoke and escape. Do it on a raised platform she walks off the back.

Want to get fancy then water smoke and the section she is standing on gets lowered as she "melts".

I made a filler with a round manhole style plug that was lifted slightly and rotated upstage on a pin (so the actors cannot remove the cover from the stage)
stout stair case with help from below and an adult supervised CO2 fire extinguisher for effect + a big fan .
Round is the only shape that cannot fall through the lower lip. I first made the cover totally removable but the actors would then take it back stage and i was left with a hole in the floor till they found it. the traproom adult made sure it was restored and secured.

Our castle was elevated. The plywood trap door lid was hinged (bolted) on down stage edge and held up with unistrut that slid out to allow it to lower. When the trap was dropped from below, a short ladder made from 2x6 which had 2 metal flat stock bent to hook on the 3/4 plywood edge of the trap door. It was raised and hooked as the witch blocked the view from the audiance. She then backed down "melting" with grips below guiding her feet from under her dress.
The door was closed, while audiance was distracted, so guards and everyone could walk over it as they exit the castle.
Special saftey procedures were in place to assure the door was locked again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back