Design Wizard of Oz FX ---> Wizard's Head & Flying

lighttechie5948

Hi everyone:

I'm designing a regional mainstage production of THE WIZARD OF OZ this December and am trying to figure out all of the special effects that need to happen now.

1) The Witch, Glinda, and the Monkeys will be flying. What should I know about lighting flying actors. As far as making sure they're seen and not the cables attached to them.

2) The eyes on the wizard's head are going to light up. They should flash and dim with the wizard's voice. This would be impossible to cue and the only way I could think of doing it would be putting it on a submaster for the Board Op. Although, since it s a regional show and NEEDS to be the same and consistent each show (like it needs to follow the actors voice and not be a second late) I was wondering if there's any way to sync it with the wizard's mic so that as his mic level changes it will change the percentage of the light. How expensive would that be?

Thanks in advance!!

Best,
Joe

1) No Comment on the Flying, but right now I am working on 2 shows that involve flying actors, so I will watch this thread too :)

2) When I did the show, the actor had a industrial grade linear dimmer (rated for 2500w) in the head with him, and he was able to match the lights to his voice quite well. Otherwise, I would prerecord his voice, and then cue the lighting to that. The timing will be tight, and your Dorothy and team will need to get their lines for this scene, but editing the sound files or breaking each section of voice into individual playbacks is also quite easy and then takes the strain of timing off the actors and onto the Playback Tech :)

Color organ! Was just thinking about them. Why try to cue things when you can have them cue themselves! Looks like that one has a 6 amp triac. As long as it's a low power load, it should work fine. Doesn't take much to bump them up a bit. No UL approval as it's a kit, but should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back