Wizard of Oz GOBO

sarahshoe

I am from a small high school and we recently had two GOBO's made for the wizard of oz. We got a full color high-definition gobo made of the emerald city. We have an etc source 4 jr. light (beam width 50degrees, gobo size M). We have it placed in a way so that the gobo fills the entire stage but we are having problems making it a clear image. Our stage is approxamitely 35 feet wide by 14 feet high. Are there any suggestions? Also, we will be selling these when the show is over if anybody is interested.

The problem is that you have a variable focal plain. Basically, the distance from your source to the stage directly in front of the instrument is much shorter than the distance to the stage at either extreme side. About the only thing you may try is to move the projection instrument farther from the stage and make up for that with a tighter lens. This way, the % of difference from the front to the sides is lower and you may be able to get more of the image to be clear.

We can't move it back any further, we have moved it all the way back to the back row of lighting. We have tried the focus nob on the bottom of the light. It makes it clearer, but not all the way. We have it in the audience already. My guess would be about 40 feet back.

You can always try a donut. A full size Source 4 with an EDLT lens tube also helps in this situation, but I am not sure of how to make an M size gobo work in a full size Source 4.

Although I agree with JD that you have focal plane issues, I think the main problem is that the S4 Jr. just isn't that great for really clear optics. As Greenia said, You would be better off using a full size S4 with an EDLT lens (or a Selecon), but now you are stuck with an M size gobo so those options are out. So, do your best to flatten out the focal plane you are projecting onto and try a donut.

Part of the problem as well is that a 50° lens is just not a very clean light, especially shooting the way you are. You likely would have been better off either splitting the image into multiple lights (messy) or pondering projections (difficult).

If you can procure a full sized Source Four with an EDLT lens tube, I can send a bezel to you which would allow the M sized gobo to fit into the B sized gobo slot of this larger fixture. The M size image area will be significantly smaller than a B size image area, but at this point you've already spent your money and have an M sized gobo.

* For future use, remember a larger image and tighter beam spread will allow clearer projections*

Are you trying to fill both the upstage wall/flats and the floor, just the floor, or just the US wall? If it's just the floor, I recommend shooting it straight down, or at least at a 45 or higher degree angle from the deck. It sounds like it's throwing at a really shallow angle in the back of the house, and so it's beam spread is huge and unfocusable to the entire stage floor. If it's to the US wall, if possible move it closer as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 50's project a beam size 95% of the throw distance. So at 40', that's about a 38' image on a 14' wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back