Wizard of Oz Hot Air Balloon help

Jlfolks

Im wanting to make a realistic looking hot air balloon for Wizard of Oz Musical. My plan is to use pvc/connectors to make the frame and parachute material over the top-cut and sew to fit. Anyone ever done this and have any tips? OR have a better idea? Very, very open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

Im wanting to make a realistic looking hot air balloon for Wizard of Oz Musical. My plan is to use pvc/connectors to make the frame and parachute material over the top-cut and sew to fit. Anyone ever done this and have any tips? OR have a better idea? Very, very open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance!
@Jlfolks No tips, only three queries:
Realistic, as in full size, OR showing all of it at a reduced scale OR showing only the lower one or two feet of the balloon and all of the basket?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Don’t see why pvc wouldn’t work. Or flexible copper pipe (seen it for less than $20 for a 10’ length on amazon), or thicker gauge wire - like a giant tomato cage. Something like that might be less inclined to want to return to straight once it’s been curved.

We're in the process of doing this exact stage trick at the moment and what we've settled on is using a 6' beach ball (sourced from Amazon) and then tying rope around it to make up the harness

We did the basket on rollers as described and flew the balloon and rigging on a traveler. No performer flying. The basket rolled out and a hand pulled the traveler at the same time. With enough practice it was believable enough that it was all moving in tandem. The balloon was either just rope or maybe a flat, I can't remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back