Wizard of Oz: Tin Man Costume

csilvia9

Hi, working on a production of Wizard of Oz and need to make The Tin Man. Trying to find some kind of plastic sheeting to construct the costume with. Any ideas?

i was thinking of the plastic used for roll up sleds. not in season now so the big box store has them packed away for display this winter
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001Q8SLE2/?tag=controlbooth-20
proxy.php

you could make trial patterns out of stiff paper to get the right fit before committing to the plastic. no idea about painting

likely easily worked with aviation snips.

I used the tall circular laundry bins when I did it. Cut out arm holes and painted it silver after giving it some extra details.

Uhmm . . . tin?

proxy.php

Chest is a circular "barrel"; shoulder piece is a flat rectangle with a neck cutout, pop rivetted to the chest.

Arms are two "barrels" with dryer exhaust tubing pop rivetted on for joints at shoulders and elbows. Same with legs with joints at knees.

The legs are attached to the pants, so they go on in one. Pants are spray painted silver, as is shirt under the upper body piece.

NOTE: File smooth and DOUBLE DUCT TAPE ALL EDGES AND THE BACKS OF THE POP RIVETS to prevent any sharp edges. Some foam inside the chest and shoulder pieces as well.

The hat is a plastic funnel, sprayed silver.

The performer used this for 9 performances with no injury, in case anyone is worried about use of metal. This shot was taken during the final performance and you can see that there is some rumpling of the shoulder piece.

When we did the show we used a stock costume pattern available at your local fabric store (Simplicity I think). My costumer made it out of a shiny silver fabric.. Lamé I think... the pattern was designed to be stiff in the right places yet was very light and comfortable. It looked great.

When we did the show we used a stock costume pattern available at your local fabric store (Simplicity I think). My costumer made it out of a shiny silver fabric.. Lamé I think... the pattern was designed to be stiff in the right places yet was very light and comfortable. It looked great.

Might have looked great but the actor probably thought it was pretty lame! amiright?

lame. lamé. had to do it, don't worry I'll put myself in the corner now.

I hope we get some good posts as I will have the same challenge in a few months.

Plastic sheets are available from Mcmaster-carr

How about Ram Board from Home depot, maybe double layers.

PS LOL josh88

Last edited:
I've had good luck using camping mat foam, aka EVA foam. Just buy a camping sleeping mat at Walmart etc. Quite cheap, cuts really easily, reasonably durable, comfortable to wear, and you can glue it with a glue gun. Google "cosplay EVA foam" and you'll find tons of results from fantasy Cosplay enthusiasts, including some amazing suits of armour that are very similar to a Tin Man costume.

I wore a costume made from the sheet plastic mentioned above. The costume maker drilled it and used pop rivets to hold it together. Underneath was a silver lame pant and shirt. Worked great looked just like tin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back